Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q203: What's on the menu?

tintinspartan
#1 · Posted: 30 Apr 2007 14:08
Ahoy there, mates. Welcome to Tintinspartan's Restraunt of Tintin cuisine. Well, we have lost the menu and need your help to recover the menu by tracking down at least 7 meals that Tintin and friends had throughout the 23 completed Adventures. If you can track down all the meals, a bonus will be rewarded. Please, no whisky. It's too common for us to know.

Format:
Name the meal or dish that Tintin or his friends were eating. A scene of Tintin and friends having dinner will be fine, to. Don't forget the name of the album, page number and description of the scence.

P.S: If you typed the food that are mentioned but not eaten by Tintin or allies, it wil be accepted also

Comment by our friends
Captain Haddock: Blistering Barnacles, No Whisky!!!!
Tintin :Calm down, Captain.
Captain Haddock: I'll sue the manager, one day, that Astorgoth! Pirate! Mutineers! Exilers!
alvarolino
#2 · Posted: 30 Apr 2007 14:53
1. Cigars of the Pharaoh, 45: Soup
2. The Blue Lotus, 17 -18: Tea
3. The Blue Lotus, 62: Rice, fruits
4. The Broken Ear, 9: Cofee, toast
5. The Crab with the Golden Claws, 12: Bread
6. The Shooting Star, 23: Mash
7. The Shooting Star, 50: Biscuit, apple

More two as guarantee:
8. Prisoners of the Sun, 54: Fruits
9. The Calculus Affair, 11: Breakfast
Borschtisov
#3 · Posted: 30 Apr 2007 15:04
Here goes.

Chicken (The Black Island, Page 33) Tintin and Snowy are eating the chicken that Snowy pinched after it fell from the platter on page 32.
Toast and cereal? (The Black Island, Page 40) Tintin and his pilot are having breakfast at the friendly Scot's 'hoose'.
Szlaszeck and szpradj (King Ottokar's Sceptre, Page 5) Tintin's eating at the "Klow", a syldavian restaurant.
Bread (King Ottokar's Sceptre, Page 54) As Tintin runs from his pursuers, he quickly wolfs down a loaf of bread that lands in his arms after a mix-up at a Bordurian table.
Sausages and Mash (The Shooting Star, Page 23) Snowy has the sausages and everyone else has the mash.
Biscuits (The Shooting Star, Page 50) Tintin eats his rations on the meteorite.
Bread? (Prisoners of the Sun, Page 22) Tintin, Captain Haddock and Zorrino enjoy something or other ...
Bread and Cocoa? (Explorers on the Moon, Page 18) The Thom(p)sons twins, Tintin, Calculus, Haddock have a meal before landing on the moon.
Breakfast [toast] (The Calculus Affair, Page 11) Haddock and Tintin enjoy a nice breakfast at the Hall.
Dinner [we don't know exactly what they had] (The Calculus Affair, Page 49) Tintin and Haddock are having dinner with Kronick and Klumsi.
Chicken, bread, and more (The Red Sea Sharks, Page 40) Tintin, Captain, Skut, and Snowy eat a lovely meal on board the Scheherazade, though Tintin is very ill at ease.
Tsampa (Tintin in Tibet, Page 22) The whole expedition eats this meal while they make camp for the night.
Unknown food (Tintin in Tibet, Page 52) While discussing going to the Horn of the Yak, Tintin and the village headman are eating out of a bowl.
Otnosh (Tintin and the Picaros, Page 33 & 34) We see Tintin and Calculus eating this Arumbayan dish, which unfortunately for them was highly seasoned.
Stew (Tintin and the Picaros, Page 50) Snowy eats some stew to show the Picaros that it is safe to eat.
Balthazar
#4 · Posted: 30 Apr 2007 15:13
Alvarolino beat me to it but here are a different seven meals I spotted:

1) Black Island p40: Breakfast of bread and what looks like bowls of porridge with the crofter and pilot.

2) Explorers on the Moon, p18: Cofee and box of sliced bread or biscuits.

3) Calculus Affair, p49: Dinner in hotel (unspecified menu) with champagne.

4) Red Sea Sharks, p40: Chicken and bread on the Ramona after their rescue.

5) Tintin in Tibet, p22: Tsampa with sherpas.

6) Picaros, p33: Very hot Arumbaya food served on big leaves.

7) Picaros, p50-51: Red Picaro food, which Snowy tests. (We don't see Tintin and his friends joining this meal, but can probably assume they do.)

I'm not after Alvarolino's point, or a bonus point, with this extra list. (I agree with Ranko's recent post that we shouldn't have bonus points just for coming second.) I'm just extending the list for interest (and because I'd already looked up the page numbers while Alvarolino was posting and didn't want to feel I'd completely wasted ten minutes!)

Edit: Looks like I typed this whilst Borschtisov was typing his extensive list above. I think he found all the ones I spotted, so it seems I did waste ten minutes after all!)
Borschtisov
#5 · Posted: 30 Apr 2007 15:22
Hmm ... Looks like alvarolino's got the point ...

Just one thing, though; I'm not trying to detract from alvarolino's answer, but in his first example from Cigars no one actually eats the soup, it just falls on the waiter's head. One more thing; is tea by itself considered a meal? I think it might be in the UK, but ...

Once again my aim is not to try to knock the point out of alvarolino's hands, merely to make some observations.
toydreamer
#6 · Posted: 1 May 2007 02:47
lol.

Tea wouldn't be a meal.

Tea, however, is another word you can use for dinner. :)

The tea did look like part of a whole meal.

Good question. :)
tintinspartan
#7 · Posted: 1 May 2007 04:06
Well, alvarino managed to track down 9 menu items and Bortischtov managed to track almost all but there's one item that you never noticed. Tintin ate cabbage soup with an undercover ogpu in Tintin in Land of The Soviets. Well, alvarino was first and the management had issued you the keys to operate the next question. Well, i'm very impressed with Bortischov answer and it's so detailed that a point would be neccesary. Well, actually you all missed off two meals in Seven Crystal Balls. He was sitting on his breakfast table in two occasions. Well, here's the summary

alvarino: 1 point and activate the next question
Bortishicov: 1 bonus point for complete menu details

Well, the keys are yours, alvarino

P.S: I like to be generous here but sometimes, there are limits. Actually, all 3 answers I recieved was within minutes of each other. In my questions, I would give points to 1st person and detailed answer. Which means, I give 2 points in every question I set.
So, Balthazar, Sorry, No point for you as my limit as been filled. Try again.
Borschtisov
#8 · Posted: 1 May 2007 05:11
I actually didn't look in Tintin in the Land of the Soviets. The reason is because the questions in this quiz are limited to the English color editions; which excludes SOVIETS, and ALPH-ART. Look in the rules and you'll find it.

Thanks for the point!

This topic is closed.