Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Tintin article in The New Yorker

tintin_in_arcata
#1 · Posted: 26 May 2007 04:46
Hello everyone
I just was wondering what you thought of the recent Tintin article written by Anthony Lane that was published in The New Yorker.
I thought that it was quite good.
Of course, if you have read The Complete Companion, or any other Tintin reference book you most likely will not find any new information in it,
though Lane does say that "Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson [...] announced a three picture deal to bring Tintin to the big screen." which answers the "is there going to be a Tintin movie?" question.
tell me what you think
-Gabe
jock123
#2 · Posted: 26 May 2007 23:29
tintin_in_arcata
I just was wondering what you thought of the recent Tintin article written by Anthony Lane that was published in The New Yorker.
I think you will have to forgive most of us, but I doubt that many people here will have seen the New Yorker, let alone read the article - I can’t even recall anyone saying that the magazine had an article in it. As for the movie news, you’ll find several related threads already on the go.
Could you tell us a bit more about the piece, Gabe. Which copy is it in? Is it a big or a small piece, a feature article or just a mention in a news column, etc.?
Ranko
#3 · Posted: 26 May 2007 23:55
Abstract of article as spotted in New Yorker magazine.

A CRITIC AT LARGE about Hergé, creator of the Belgian comic-book hero Tintin. Writer notes that both Hergé (Georges Remi) and Georges Simenon were both born in Belgium about a century ago. Each man would, in his unobtrusive way, conquer the world. Like Simenon, Hergé would create his own investigator. His name was Tintin, and to date some two hundred million copies of his adventures have been sold. There are twenty-three completed Tintin books, ranging from “Tintin in the Land of the Soviets” (1930) to “Tintin and the Picaros” (1976). Each book began in serialized form in the pages of a newspaper. Tintin addicts are a mixed bunch. Last week, Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson signed a three-picture deal to bring Tintin to the big screen. Hugh Grant, Timothy Garton Ash and General de Gaulle are among Tintin’s fans. Discusses two critical studies of the Tintin books, “The Metamorphoses of Tintin” by Jean-Maire Apostolides and “Tintin and the Secret of Literature” by Tom McCarthy. There is infinite variety in the settings of the Tintin books, and yet what keeps them intact is the unifying presence of our hero plus that select squadron of characters who recur from book to book. Most important is Captain Haddock. Mentions other characters, including Professor Calculus and Thomson and Thompson. Hergé was a product of the solid Catholic bourgeoisie. Such stimulation as there was in Hergé’s youth came from his exploits as a scout. In 1925, Hergé went to work for Le Vingtième Siecle, a daily newspaper. In 1928, he was deputized to edit the children’s supplement and in 1929, Tintin made his debut in a serial about Soviet Russia. His next port of call was still more provocative: the Congo. Discusses the colonization of the Congo by Belgium and the portrayal of Africans by Hergé. Describes how Hergé’s friendship with a Chinese student, Chang Chong-chen spurred him to conduct thorough research for his next Tintin adventure, which was set in China. From then on, a fanatical attention to detail became the hallmark of Herge’s work. Discusses accusations that Hergé collaborated with the Nazis during the occupation of Belgium. Hergé himself was no villain. But his ability to dig himself into a hole of misconceptions, and to avert his gaze from evil, verges at times on the chronic. Writer notes the complete lack of sex in the Tintin books and briefly compares Tintin to Charlie Brown.
Tintin Quiz
#4 · Posted: 28 May 2007 18:16
It's a nicely illustrated feature article (though short by New Yorker standards) in the current issue, May 28, 2007. As tintin_in_arcata notes, there's no news for die-hard Tintin fans, but for others, it'll likely be an important article. Worth buying a copy from your local newsstand to cut out and save (if you're into saving Tintin stuff).

Anthony Lane is far and away my favorite movie reviewer in any medium, and one of the best writers in The New Yorker or any other US magazine. He approaches Tintin with personal knowledge and appreciation.
motheroftintin
#5 · Posted: 30 May 2007 05:54
[Moved from (deleted) duplicate thread]

Who read the article about Tintin in the May 28, 2007 issue of the New Yorker?

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!