Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q240: Spot the words

tintinspartan
#1 · Posted: 31 May 2007 17:51
Oh boy! Q240. 240 is the bus service number I took to visit some friends a while ago. Well, for my question:

Spot the words

1. Jackass (Tintin's line)
2. Idiot (Tintin's line please)
3. Diploducus (Haddock's word but it was displayed somewhere before Haddock came into the series)
4. Isis (Note that this name appeared twice on two different books, both before Haddock)
5. Singapore (In a map)
Mark Falconer
#2 · Posted: 31 May 2007 18:41
Tintin says "What an ass I am" when the Peary's bell goes Dong-dong-dong. I'm fairly sure that he never uses the term jackass.

"You idiot! Are you trying to get us killed?" is said by Tintin once - to Haddock I think. A more concrete reference, though in the plural, is found in The Calculus Affair. Tintin says, "What idiots we are! Under the back seat!"

Diplodocus is used by Haddock in Tintin and the Picaros, when he calls Tapioca a "dictatorial duck-billed diplodocus". (He also calls the Diplomatic Corps "Certified Diplodocuses" but I can't remember where. I thought it was the Calculus Affair but somehow i can't find it.)

Isis is the ship in Cigars of the Pharaoh where Tintin first meets Sarcophagus and bumps into Rastapopoulos.

Singapore is tough. I can't find it in any of the books where he goes anywhere near Asia...
tintinspartan
#3 · Posted: 31 May 2007 20:08
Well i've marked yur entry but..

1. Not
2. Correct
3. Not
4. 1/2 correct
5. Not

Well, here are the clues:

Jackass: Originally Haddock's but it was put on the wrong bubble and it was accidentally became Tintin's line

Idiot: There's somemore

Diploducus: It was not in a speech bubble but in a frame indicating something

Isis: There's another Isis in the books and it was before Haddock came in to the series

Singapore: Name appeared in a map on the first page of a book

Hope it will make it a bit easy! ;)
Mark Falconer
#4 · Posted: 31 May 2007 20:22
Diplodicus -- of course, that would be the Diplodicus that Snowy rifles the bone from in King Ottokar's Sceptre.

Idiot and Isis - do you want me to find the other references?

Singapore - there are only two maps on the first pages of books. In Cigars of the Pharaoh (the first thing that sprang to mind when I read the question) there is mentioned Gibraltar, Marseilles, Tangiers, Istanbul, Piraeus, Algiers, Tunis, Tripoli, and of course Port Said. In the other one, Prisoners of the Sun, we only see the location of Callao. I do not know where Singapore would be.
cigars of the beeper
#5 · Posted: 31 May 2007 20:26
"Isis" was the name of the cruise ship in "cigars of the pharaoh."
Mark Falconer
#6 · Posted: 31 May 2007 20:47
Isis is the ship in Cigars of the Pharaoh where Tintin first meets Sarcophagus and bumps into Rastapopoulos.

What I said...
Balthazar
#7 · Posted: 31 May 2007 20:51
The map at the start of Cigars varies considerably from edition to edition, sometimes showing Tintin's planned cruise of the Med, sometimes showing his actual route throughout Cigars & Blue Lotus. (The subject's been covered in a thread on this forum a few months back.) So tintinspartan's edition may have a map of Asia which includes Singapore.

Tintinspartan, under the rules, I don't think you can reject Mark's first answers for an instance of Tintin saying idiot and an instance of a pre-Haddock Isis, as they're both correct (even if they're not the ones you had in mind.) We'd better see what jock decrees in his role as moderator.

You did say that you were looking for a non-Haddock dipplodocus, though, so I can see why you rejected Mark's first attempt at that. If we're being strict about the rules, though, Mark shouldn't have been allowed back with a second go. And another rule states that a maximum of three answer components can be sought in any one question, so maybe your five-part question had too many parts anyway.

That's my thoughts anyway. Sorry I can't think of a jackass.
Mark Falconer
#8 · Posted: 31 May 2007 23:21
I was unsure whether he wanted a non-Haddock diplodocus (man I am having the hardest time with spelling that) or not, given that he said, "Haddock's word but it was displayed somewhere else..." so I thought maybe either one was acceptable?
Harrock n roll
#9 · Posted: 1 Jun 2007 01:38
Time for a ruling on this, I reckon.

As mentioned earlier by Balthazar, the rules state that a maximum of three answers may be sought per question. If an answer has more possibilities than that, any three correct answers from the overall selection will count as a solution. Tintinspartan, you asked five unconnected questions, two of which seem to have at least two (or more) possible answers. In future please let's try to keep to a maximum of three possible answers related to just one question.

Yes, Mark came back and answered a third question - also against the rules - but since I agree with Mark that question 3 (about Diplodocus) could be construed as slightly misleading ("Haddock's word but it was displayed somewhere else...") we can wave the '1 attempt per question' rule and move on. Mark Falconer may take the point and set the next question.

This topic is closed.