Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other works by Hergé /

Popol Out West: English name given to Indian Rabbit tribe?

Borschtisov
#1 · Posted: 9 Jul 2007 21:57
This is a question for those of you who own a copy of the extremely rare Popol Out West.

In it what is the name given to the tribe of Indian rabbits? I know in French it is Lapinos.

But what is it in the English version?

Thanks.
Dupondt
#2 · Posted: 9 Jul 2007 22:17
What's Popol Out West?
Borschtisov
#3 · Posted: 10 Jul 2007 13:24
Oh, Dupondt, you uncultured swine! (just kidding!)

Popol Out West is a comic book written by Herge in 1934; roughly the same time as he did Cigars of the Pharaoh. As I said it is extremely rare, especially in English. If you want to know more about it you could search these forums for other threads that have been made about it and its rareness. Or, you could look it up in your search engine, you're sure to find plenty of info on the album.
Balthazar
#4 · Posted: 10 Jul 2007 15:01
To answer your original question, Borshtisov, the rabbit tribe in the English translation is called is called the Bunnokees - a good bit of inventiveness by the translators.

My copy of Popol is the paperback that Mammoth brought out in 1992. (Mammoth were the Reed imprint that I think took over much of Methuen's children's list before it moved on to Egmont.) If I'd known back then this edition of Popol wasn't going to stay in print and would become rare, I'd have bought a boxful, so I could have sold them now!

My late grandparents had a copy of the Methuen hardback of Popol in their house (first translated and published around 1969, I think), which we greatly enjoyed as children. I'm not sure which of my siblings or cousins now owns it, but if you reckon it's worth a fair bit I'd better make sure it's being well looked after!
Sponz
#5 · Posted: 10 Jul 2007 21:14
I also own the 1992 copy. Thank God I had the presence of mind to take care of it, even though I must have been only about eight years old.

I don't think you can really find either edition for sale anywhere, even on the net. Balthazar I'm sure that Metheun edition must be worth a good amount.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!