Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Hergé: Is a bio-pic possible?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

toddly6666
#1 · Posted: 20 May 2007 22:13
Has a Hergé bio-pic film been pursued yet?
Not a documentary, like Tintin et Moi, but a regular bio-pic film?
Wasn't his life exciting enough to be a successful film? It would be nice if they incorporated Tintin drawings/animation into the film as well.
The best bio-pic films on artists have been so far Basquiet and Frida. I think Hergé would make an exciting and touching bio-pic film.

Depending on the age or country, Hergé could be played by Vincent Cassell, Ian McKellen, for example...
BlackIsland
#2 · Posted: 25 Jul 2007 02:13
That would be great actually especially Ian McKellan, they look alike.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 25 Jul 2007 09:32
BlackIsland
That would be great actually especially Ian McKellan, they look alike.
That's interesting, as I can't see the likeness myself - if nothing else, I think of Hergé as tall, and Sir Ian as short/ average height... I think he looks taller only if you stand him next to Hobbits...
Harrock n roll
#4 · Posted: 25 Jul 2007 10:21
I'd have Arsene Wenger as Hergé, call me weird...
Ranko
#5 · Posted: 25 Jul 2007 12:28
Harrock n roll
I'd have Arsene Wenger as Hergé, call me weird...

OK, weirdo... But I also see the similarity! :-)

What are Arsenal's chances with The Thom(p)sons protecting the back four?
jockosjungle
#6 · Posted: 27 Jul 2007 18:42
Has Hergé had a life that'd make a good film? He lived to quite old and wrote children's books.

Maybe it'd be like the Beatrix Potter film (not that I saw it) but I don't think there is much to go on in his life that'd make a good film

R
jock123
#7 · Posted: 27 Jul 2007 23:47
jockosjungle
Has Hergé had a life that'd make a good film?
I think that there is quite a lot in his life which is cinematic, and certainly moreso than some the films which actually get made.
His disappearances were mysterious, for example, and the period during the aftermath of the war where he was arrested and faced the possibility of death by firing squad (he had to sit in cells where he could here the rifle-shots of others who were less fortunate than he turned out to be) would add tension...
Richard
UK Correspondent
#8 · Posted: 30 Jul 2007 23:58
jockosjungle
Has Hergé had a life that'd make a good film?

There's also at least a couple of affairs and the breakdown that lead to Tintin in Tibet. Linked in with that there's the whole Chang story arc, and other events like planning to move to Argentina would surely add to the story.

On the whole I think there's far more material to work with than was available for the aforementioned Miss Potter, which was essentially the love story between her and her publisher.
Jeeves
#9 · Posted: 30 Jan 2008 05:01
I think that a Hergé biopic might have trouble from a marketing standpiont.
eOn the other hand as an aspiring film maker I think it would be a great movie and there is a lot of wonderful material there to work with! That and I think the critics are getting sick of films about artists who have seem to do nothing other than have wild love affairs and do drugs.
jock123
#10 · Posted: 30 Jan 2008 08:39
Richard
I think there's far more material to work with than was available for the aforementioned Miss Potter
Here's one of the things about bio-pics - do you do the whole life story, or do you pick out an incident?
I think Miss Potter chose the angle they did because it is a fairly unknown part of her life, would have been notable hostorically for breaking conventions of the time, and, helpfully for the makers, is a discrete part of her story, and both romantic and tragic, which can play well dramatically.
But there was a lot more to Beatrix than books and publishers - she was a notable and highly talented botanical illustrator, and there's a whole story to be told about that. She learned about plants as a child on holidays to Scotland, became fascinated by fungi, and learned to create detailed illustrations of specimens which could have given her a major career as a scientific botanist - but being a woman barred her from entry to that world in that time. It's thought now that her observations should have gained her entry to the Royal Society, but she was denied, and that might make a movie too.
And we've not touched on her pioneering work as a farmer and conservationist, who's love of her locality basically set the pattern for how to preserve the British rural landscape effectively. This too could probably stand on its own - or could be just part of a film that covers her whole life.
Jeeves
I think the critics are getting sick of films about artists who have seem to do nothing other than have wild love affairs and do drugs.
Hmmm… It's hard to tell - they loved Walk the Line and Ray, and they weren't squeaky-clean.
And I'd be careful what you wish for in that respect - remember Hergé left his wife for another woman...

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!