Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Alph-Art: Tintin and Martine

Page  Page 2 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

tintinisthegreatest
#11 · Posted: 11 Oct 2006 18:14
I can't ever think of Tintin having a girlfriend. besides, he lives in a world where there is no sex, no love interests (well, maybe Castafiore and Haddock, but Haddock can't stand her), only adventure and the never ending battle between good and evil. I think that going off on adventures around the world and solving mysteries gives Tintin more of a rush than the kind of rush any of us can get from love or sex.
Luigi
#12 · Posted: 2 Dec 2006 01:52
...I dunno, but I think if Herge wanted to introduce a female character that would be close enough to Tintin to even have a chance of being some sort of "romantic interest" to Tintin, he probably would have introduced her as an adventurer, too. Probably a more lady-like and more prudent, less cowboy-ish version of Lois Lane, y'know? But probably the most fans could hope for would be like small hints of mutual admiration from Tintin and the female character...
Danagasta
#13 · Posted: 2 Dec 2006 17:07
I disagree, Luigi. The one thing that would have been needed was a stronger female character, and if that's what you call "cowboyish" (what does that mean by the way?) then that's fine. Machismo doesn't translate well in my culture at all (we're traditionally matriarchal), and saying that "lady-like" isn't equal to a strong character who's also a journalist is an insult to me,a female journalist. Cherokee women don't do the barefoot and pregnant thing, and this one in particular is insulted by it.

That aside, Sliat is right. Friends are friends, but it isn't hard to view Martine at Marlinspike either. It's a home away from home for all the great people in the books.
Mirirocks67
#14 · Posted: 31 Jul 2007 17:19
I also agree with Sliat. Tintin and Martine could just be friends, I can't imagine Tintin with love.
People like him as he is, and maybe if he falls in love it could ruin the character.
Maybe the adventures would turn less likeable if there's love in between.
Look at Harry Potter, for example: in The Halfblood Prince half of the plot it's about Harry liking Ginny (who is a totally Mary-Sue) and Hermione (who's out of character in this book) jealous of Ron and his new girlfriend.
It could be horrible if the adventures of Tintin ended like that.
SakuraT5
#15 · Posted: 8 Aug 2007 05:22
I dont know about the others but I do like the forum on the Tintin-Martine relationship becoz I think its cute. I've been reading Tintin for the past 7-8 yrs and I've not read anything better than Tintin and the alph-art. I am from India and I am a 1st yr mass communication student and one of the reasons why I took up this subject is becoz I wanted to be just like Tintin.For me, I dont care what others think but the Tintin-Martine relationship is much better than Fredric Luten's portrayal of Tintin from 'Tintin in the new world' where Tintin has a sexual relationship with a character from that book by the name of Madame Clavdia. Speaking about Tintin, are there any books about Herge and his family?
sliat_1981
#16 · Posted: 10 Aug 2007 09:16
There was no way they would have been got together. They were nothing more than friends and there was nothing else to suggest they would be anything else. Just because she's a female character, doesn't mean that's what Herge had in mind. Female characters CAN be just friends, believe it or not.
Mirirocks67
#17 · Posted: 10 Aug 2007 12:46
I agree completly what Sliat says,it isn´t necesary to have love in all the adventures. And besides, Rodier´s Alph-Art isn´t canon, because maybe Hergé didn´t plan to turn Martine into Tintin´s girlfriend;If he could had lived a bit more, maybe he would have make a surprise with this character.He could have known that some people the Tintin and Martine pairing wanted to be true,and maybe he could have put them together or match her with another character.It could be possible, but remember, nor Rodiers or Ramo Nashs Alph-Art is the original.
In my opinion, better the adventures don´t have love.
It could be terrible in one adventure where Tintin falls in love with a Mary-Sue(if you don´t know what are they search in Internet),Castafiore and Haddock finally get married and Calculus is jealous of the couple and turns out of character in that adventure.
sliat_1981
#18 · Posted: 29 Aug 2007 11:11
I found a quote of Herge's: "for me, women have nothing to do in a world like Tintin's, which is the realm of male friendship..."
This makes it obvious that Martine was never going to be anything more than a friend
tintinagalog
#19 · Posted: 25 Nov 2007 04:34
Oh...getting Martine Verazande in Tintin's life? Hmm...

These days, we have observed the women's role in adventure movies such as Indiana Jones and The Mummy, and how their chemistry clicked. But with Tintin? I don't know, however I felt a chill within me that putting a girl in the reporter's life would turn out to be deteriorating, unless...

...you know, I had tried to write 14 hand-written, unpublished Tintin novelettes in my notebooks from October 2001-January 2003 before I realized Herge's Will that he will never allow anybody to continue the series.

In my Tintin stories, I introduced Eloisa le Magne, a lovely and intelligent archeologist whom Tintin fell in love with. She was an enemy at first, who turned out to be theirs in the end. Despite of her tempting attractiveness, our young man kept himself controlled, showing his emotions eventually and not rushed for one reason: he is not ready for committment.

I learned that...

1. in order to keep Hergenistic charm unfaded, Tintin should learn to balance everything in his life: his gang, his girl, his dog, and himself. I made it to a point that all characters are still understanding, open-minded to accept and deal with particular changes, and cooperative to one another in attaining goals.
2. Instead of diminishing roles,I just added them, such as...
a. Captain Haddock, a veteran in the Navy, whisky, and seaman's romance, could be Tintin's counselor (somehow) on the do's and don'ts in handling intimacy over responsibility, a lesson which children-going-adolescence should also be aware of,too. Furthermore, being frank, Eloisa couldn't get away with his blistering curses on the moments she made errors.
b. Snowy became a hilarious, jealous attention-seeker in my story. However, with his loyalty, he continued to save his master in troublesome times, but ignoring Eloisa no matter what. It would always be Tintin as Eloisa's lifesaver.
c. The roles of Thomson, Thompson, Castafiore and Professor Calculus remained as they are. Nothing to add on.
d. I also made funny takes of the Calculus-Castafiore-Captain "love triangle" which turned out to be Tintin's rib-tickling observation matter.
e. there are more villains presented here, especially those who would try to ruin Tintin, Eloisa, and their relationship.

Well... I welcome any comments from you, fellow Tintinologists, about my plot.
tintinagalog
#20 · Posted: 25 Nov 2007 04:39
P.S.
But then...Herge's long been rested. Alph-art is really the period of the sentence. Be just that. I respect him.

Page  Page 2 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!