Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Lake of Sharks: General discussion

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

zgn2
#21 · Posted: 1 Dec 2006 21:02
Is the comic adaptation of it still being published? I'm going to get more 3-in-1 books tomorrow, is it in any of them?
jockosjungle
#22 · Posted: 2 Dec 2006 11:59
Still available in a single standard size album, like any of the others, but not in the 3-in-1 compilations.
R
thefin
#23 · Posted: 2 Jan 2007 15:09
I liked Lake of Sharks. Not as great quality as the others, but an okay extra to the collection.
Think of the Bond movie Never Say Never Again as a comparison.
waveofplague
#24 · Posted: 23 Jun 2007 04:09
Hi, just found this old thread.
I've watched most of Lake of Sharks by now and just wanted to offer my 2c. This is in reference to the film version.

I know a lot of people don't like it because Hergé didn't create it, but given what it is, and who made it, it's pretty close to authentic Hergé.

The adventure and action scenes are awfully close to the type employed by the Master. (Full disclosure: I haven't seen the whole thing yet, but pretty close.)

The Captain's voice actor is not good - I never imagined him with that kind of a voice, but it is what it is, and you get used to it.
What do you guys think of Tintin's voice actor? I think he's fine for the role.

Lake of Sharks is flawed, but I think the characterizations are pretty close to spot-on.

Here's a scene which I think is classic Hergé: about halfway through the film, one of Rastapopoulos's men is using binoculars to spy at Tintin and Haddock through the windows. But we then cut to a shot of The Esteemed Thompsons rolling dummies back and forth. That shows me that the creators of Lake of Sharks had their finger on Hergé's pulse.

And the animation is close enough to Hergé's drawings so as not to be too distracting. After all, Bob De Moor did work on this movie's production, and we all know how closely he worked with Hergé.

And you've got to love the chance meeting of la Castafiore and Tintin in the middle of the night on a deserted road. That's so Hergé! Again, it's not perfect, but the creators of this film understood what's special and unique about the Tintin comics.

Anyway, to conclude, I think it's the closest anyone has come to re-creating Hergé's work. And while it's far from perfect, it caught my interest; in fact, I'm going to go finish watching it now.
ahanmal
#25 · Posted: 3 Aug 2007 13:21
I got A VCD of Tintin and the Lake of Sharks in India.
pokemon
#26 · Posted: 4 Aug 2007 09:17
I've yet to see or read this story. What is the plot, please?
Ranko
#27 · Posted: 4 Aug 2007 17:29
pokemon:
I've yet to see or read this story. What is the plot, please?

Tintin, Snowy and Captain Haddock fly to Syldavia to see Professor Calculus who is staying on a villa on the shores of a mysterious lake. The professor has been secretly working on a strange machine which produces 3D illusions, but then Tintin unmasks a spy in the villa. Who is interested in the professor's invention? Tintin is hot on the trail when he is captured and taken to the mastermind of the lake of sharks - none other than his old enemy, Rastapopoulos. And this time 'King Shark' has plans to get rid of Tintin for good...

That's what my book says, anyway! :-)

I think the book should be marked "for collectors/avid fans only". It's pretty sub-standard.
jock123
#28 · Posted: 6 Aug 2007 13:04
Awww! Don't be so harsh to the poor thing - I quite enjoy Lake of Sharks: I don't think it is anywhere as good as the best of the originals, but it doesn't compare too badly to the least of the canon. I'm not keen on Rastapopoulos as a villain at the best of times, so his inclusion in this is a bit of a bore, but other than that I like the submerged village sequences and the return of Calculus's sub, and the duplicating/ forgery plot is fair.
Ranko
#29 · Posted: 7 Aug 2007 20:46
Awww! Don't be so harsh to the poor thing
OK. Fair comment. I do like the scene with the replicating paste...
However, Jock, my experience has been forever blighted. My original copy suffered a rather inglorious fate involving an eight year old boy, a car journey, and the subsequent consequences of trying to read whilst on a very windy road...

My mother did the best she could to clean it up :-(
jock123
#30 · Posted: 8 Aug 2007 10:01
Ranko
my experience has been forever blighted.
Ah, the childhood trauma angle!
Look on it this way, you will have a deep anecdote for your autobiography when you write it!

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!