Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Captain Haddock's and Tintin's relationship

Page  Page 1 of 6:  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

cigars of the beeper
#1 · Posted: 29 Jun 2007 01:43
Hi everyone,
In your opinion, what is the relationship between the Captain and Tintin? is Captain Haddock like a father to Tintin, or is he more like an uncle or brother? In my opinion, he is like a father. He cares about Tintin and goes with him to make sure he is safe. Please no telling me that Tintin and Haddock are gay and THAT is their relationship, because there is no evidence to support this.
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 29 Jun 2007 05:36
Thank God! Finally someone who doesn't see Tintin and Haddock being gay. I'm sick of all that.
Personally I think Captain Haddock is like his surrogate father, the father he never had. Captain Haddock clearly admires Tintin's innocence and maturity and Tintin admires Haddock's risk-taking and loyalty. It's a very interesting combination. To tell the truth that's what makes their friendship so interesting - that and Haddock has more character dimension than Tintin.
miloumuttmitt
#3 · Posted: 7 Jul 2007 18:39
Thank God! Finally someone who doesn't see Tintin and Haddock being gay. I'm sick of all that

Sick of people accusing people who are not gay of being gay or sick of the whole prospect of homosexuality altogether?

I personally think that, like cigars of the beeper said, Haddock is really more of a brothery-fathery-thing.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 7 Jul 2007 23:32
cigars of the beeper
In your opinion, what is the relationship between the Captain and Tintin?
Colleagues and friends; I don't find it necessary to try and analyse it further than that.
Tintinrulz
#5 · Posted: 8 Jul 2007 02:31
Miloumuttmitt, I don't believe homosexuality is right, but I was talking about being sick of people accusing others of being gay or not gay.
pokemon
#6 · Posted: 9 Jul 2007 09:59
Tintinrulz
Thank God! Finally someone who doesn't see Tintin and Haddock being gay. I'm sick of all that

so i am. i hate people who associate tintin with sex.

to talk about the subject haddock and tintin are best friends. the age difference is what is actually raising this question
sliat_1981
#7 · Posted: 10 Aug 2007 10:06
I don't see homosexuality as wrong. Though I always saw Tintin and Haddock as surrogate brothers than Father, son. They both give eatch other advicer and seem to look on things in similar ways. Apart from their obvious age differences, I always saw them as unlikely brothers. They definently have a brother love for each other.
Mirirocks67
#8 · Posted: 10 Aug 2007 15:14
For me it's like a brother relationship, they love and they care for one another.
And, they are not gay!!!!!
It bugs me too when peolple think about Tintin like the adventures of gays.
John Sewell
#9 · Posted: 24 Aug 2007 00:26
For me, they're simply the best of friends, if an unlikely pair. I always imagine that the Captain feels that he owes Tintin a lot for rescuing him from Allen and a life of permanant drunkenness in Crab, and that's why he eventually invites Tintin to join him in a life of luxury at Marlinspike. Like all inseparable mates, they have their occasional arguments and disagreements, but at the end of the day, each of them would do anything for the other. Just look at the way the Captain's willing to sacrifice himself when he's dangling from a Himalayan mountain, so that Tintin can be saved (and also Tintin's desperate pleas to stop him; "Either we're both saved, or we die together!") It's one of the best defining moments for the relationship between the two.

I also love Haddock dashing to the rescue in Alph-Art, when he hears the villains shooting at Tintin. He's already warned Tintin that they may try to kill him again, and he speeds off in his car without any regard for his own safety, and a telling "If they touch a hair of his head..." who wouldn't want a friend like that?
Captain Chester
#10 · Posted: 24 Aug 2007 04:45
pokemon
i hate people who associate tintin with sex.

I have always seen Tintin as asexual, so any "reading between the lines" like that is kind of a sore spot with me.
I think the Tintin/Haddock relationship is that of a much older brother or an uncle.

CC

Page  Page 1 of 6:  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!