Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Asterix books appearing; Tintin books disappearing

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

number1fan
#1 · Posted: 16 Aug 2007 11:42
These days there are hardly any Tintin books in stores. but Asterix seems to be accuring alot. I have seen them in whsmiths, virgin megastores, and alot of book shops whereas the Tintin books don't really appear in many places anymore. i supose what with the Internet it's easy enough to get them, and my local libray only has 2 Tintin books where it used to have the whole collection.
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 16 Aug 2007 15:14
The Asterix books have appeared because they have all just been republished, in the correct order, starting with Asterix the Gaul in 2004. They were unavailable for years.

I don't know about the Tintin books disappearing. They're all still available at many shops here in London, like Waterstones, Borders, Foyles, Gosh, Forbidden Planet... I haven't checked a WH Smiths for a while but they used to sell them. In fact, I bought most of mine from there many years ago.
alvarolino
#3 · Posted: 16 Aug 2007 19:41
Here in Brazil, Tintin books hadn't been printed since the 70's. But finally they are being republished by a renowned publisher.

Meanwhile, Asterix (and Disney) has been edited continuously for decades. I think the humoristic and/or graphic style of Asterix reaches a wider range of people.

"Clear line" style is not so popular outside Europe (neither in Europe, but in a lesser degree, I guess).
pokemon
#4 · Posted: 18 Aug 2007 09:08
Is Rene Goscinny the author of Asterix alive? if yes then that is the reason for the large productivity of asterix and the disappearance of tintin. if Herge was alive there would have been atleast 100 tintins today.

thankfully my library has atleast 11 tintins in it.
Harrock n roll
#5 · Posted: 18 Aug 2007 12:28
pokemon
is Rene Goscinny the author of Asterix alive?
No he isn't. René Goscinny died November 5, 1977. The 30th anniversary of his passing is coming soon!

After Goscinny died, Albert Uderzo (the artist) continued doing the books on his own. However, the cover credits still read "Goscinny and Uderzo".

if Herge was alive there would have been atleast 100 tintins today.
I don't think we'd have seen that many! Given that only 4 Tintin books appeared from the 1960s up to his death in 1983 we would have been lucky to have seen another 4 if he were still alive.
number1fan
#6 · Posted: 18 Aug 2007 16:15
Yea i recon a few more after Alph Art not that many though.
Did Herge and Goscinny and Uderzo ever meet was they ever in competion with each others work.
zaveri_tintin
#7 · Posted: 11 Dec 2007 15:05
Harrock n roll
After Goscinny died, Albert Uderzo (the artist) continued doing the books on his own. However, the cover credits still read "Goscinny and Uderzo".

Of course not. Goscinny used to write Asterix and Uderzo used to illustrate the books. After death of Goscinny, Uderzo doubled up as the writer. What i wanted to say is that from the cover page of any Asterix book you can realize that whether the book has been written by Uderzo or Goscinny.

Asterix book written by Goscinny will say:

'Written by Rene Goscinny; Illustrated by Albert Uderzo'

Asterix book written by Uderzo will say:

'Written and illustrated by Albert Uderzo'
number1fan
#8 · Posted: 11 Dec 2007 20:11
I dont think they did meet and discuss the competion of Asterix and Tintin. I dont think they realy was in competion Asterix came out about 35 years after Tintin i think.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#9 · Posted: 11 Dec 2007 22:44
number1fan
Did Herge and Goscinny and Uderzo ever meet was they ever in competion with each others work.

I don't know if they ever met for sure, but Goscinny was one of the writers for Tintin and the Blue Oranges, and Uderzo drew a tribute to Hergé when he passed away. What with the references in each others' work, I'm sure it was more a healthy respect for what they'd each achieved.
tintinagalog
#10 · Posted: 12 Dec 2007 01:49
To add up, Herge even drew Asterix in a frame of Tintin and the Picaros!

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!