Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

What course to study to be a reporter?

pokemon
#1 · Posted: 18 Aug 2007 09:11
if you want to be a reporter what group should you select to study in class 11, commerce or arts?
boy_reporter
#2 · Posted: 26 Aug 2007 01:56
Definitely the arts course. See if they have units in communication and/or media studies.

Anyway, a reporter (even one that is just starting out) is judged more on his/her portfolio of work/assignments than on whatever academic qualifications he or she possesses. Remember that many top journalists in the past and today attained success without qualifications in journalism or media-related studies, while still others did not even receive a formal tertiary education!

Good luck with your studies.
mondrian
#3 · Posted: 26 Aug 2007 11:31
I don't know much about the job market or education in India, but as my fiancée is working as a journalist I can probably give you some tips.

Like said before, your portfolio is the most important thing when applying for jobs. Therefore it would be good to get some work experience as early as possible, you learn the job & it will make it easier to get better jobs. However, usually you need an university degree to compete for jobs in best places.

Reporter needs knowledge in various fields, so any education is good. Media studies is an obvious choice, but economics, history, political science, art history or any education really is good. Everything you know you can use in that profession.

Hope that helps, and good luck.
SakuraT5
#4 · Posted: 1 Sep 2007 05:20
Although I took up arts in my 12th grade to become a journalist and am studying mass communication for my grads but there are many students in our college who took up science stream for their pre-university.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!