Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: Ambidextrous, right-handed or left-handed?

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

sprabs
#11 · Posted: 26 Feb 2006 06:51
Tintin uses his right hand for shooting as well as writing, activities which I would say by & large determine a person's handedness (unless Tintin actually took pains to learn shooting the other hand to fool us :-D).

As for the list of things meticulously listed down in this interesting article, most of these can be performed by either hands easily.

In the end, I was just wondering whether there exists any need to prove Tintin to be left-handed as a mark of his greatness? Don't we already know that to be true ... :-)
indigoxstar
#12 · Posted: 19 Mar 2007 22:15
I think Tintin is right-handed, but can just use his left hand almost as equally (I agree about the drawing-hand thing).

So, ambidextrous? Maybe he was just forced to use his right hand in his childhood - he might be left-handed then.
This last sentence is my conclusion: left-handed naturally, but forced to use his right hand.
pokemon
#13 · Posted: 18 Aug 2007 15:33
According to nature Tintin can be either a lefty or a righty, he cannot be both.

Perhaps this is just another one of Hergé's errors?
SmartTintin
#14 · Posted: 18 Aug 2007 15:49
Left-handedness or right-handedness is mainly determined by the hand we use for writing. That is the most controlled hand.

Tintin is shown writing with right hand in Tintin in the Land of the Soviets.
So, I conclude that Tintin is right-handed!
Balthazar
#15 · Posted: 18 Aug 2007 19:03
pokemon
According to nature Tintin can be either a lefty or a righty, he cannot be both.

I think you're wrong, pokemon. Some people are born ambidextrous - able to use both hands equally well.
I believe Baden-Powell, founder of the Scout movement, was ambidextrous, for example.
And, as jock says, some people are a bit ambidextrous - i.e.: mainly right- or left-handed, but pretty able with the other hand too.
IvanIvanovitch
#16 · Posted: 6 May 2008 07:42
Awesome article! Perhaps, Tintin being who he is, he consciously strives to be ambidextrous. I knew a right-handed person who was bound and determined to be ambidextrous. He alternated days, doing everything with his right or left hand. He still relies on his right hand instinctively, as evidenced in emergencies or under pressure. But he has mainly succeeded. Maybe the explanation of Tintin's habits is likewise: compulsive self-improvement coupled with sheer stubbornness. Would that I knew.
tintinagalog
#17 · Posted: 8 May 2008 05:39
But in most frames, Tintin goes right in writing, shooting, Morse coding, and even in his "observe silence" gesture on the "Emerald" cover.
IvanIvanovitch
#18 · Posted: 6 Jun 2008 19:47
Brainspark! This is a minor point, finlay, but I noticed that the article noted Tintin eating with his right hand in The Shooting Star. I didn't think about it after that until dinner last night. I was cutting my meat and eating it when I suddenly remembered. When using a knife, you cut with the right hand. Naturally you fork it with your left. Explanation, right der for ya!
...what it takes to excite me...
:D
finlay wrote:
Maybe none of you care.

The forums can be slow to reply, but they do. We're all interested in Tintin; we're interested in each other. So, don't despair!
marsbar
#19 · Posted: 7 Jun 2008 00:18
IvanIvanovitch wrote:
I noticed that the article noted Tintin eating with his right hand in The Shooting Star. I didn't think about it after that until dinner last night. I was cutting my meat and eating it when I suddenly remembered. When using a knife, you cut with the right hand. Naturally you fork it with your left. Explanation, right der for ya!

Naturally! Right--no, I mean LEFT! ;-) The article notes:
Tintin holds his knife with his left hand at lunch [...] Captain Haddock also holds his knife with his left hand! [Reference: The Shooting Star, page 24 frame 11]
NikkiRoux
#20 · Posted: 8 Jun 2008 07:46
I didn't think artists bothered to decide whether their characters were right or left handed or checked to see if they were using any particular hand.

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!