Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

Germaine Kieckens: Any biographical information on Hergée?

SakuraT5
#1 · Posted: 1 Sep 2007 05:35
I've just read an article about Hergé's first wife, Germaine Kieckens, but it didn't have that much about her. I'd like to know more.

Could anyone give me some more info on her?
Mikael Uhlin
#2 · Posted: 1 Sep 2007 10:53
She was born in 1906 and was working as secretary to Abbé Norbert Wallez, the editor of Le XXeme Siècle, when she met and became engaged to Hergé.
They were married by Wallez himself on July 21, 1932.
Germaine is described as red-haired, energetic and determined.
The couple, who never had any children, lived seemingly happy until the beginning of the Fifties.
Then, during the various crisis Hergé experienced at that time, a split set in, and in 1956, Hergé began an affair with the young Fanny Vlamynck (born in 1934) who worked at his studio.
It took him four years to leave Germaine, and seventeen years to actually divorce her.
As long as they lived, Georges and Germaine (= Hergé and Hergée) continued to share their villa in Céroux-Mousty, staying there one week at a time.
Little Mijarka
#3 · Posted: 10 Jun 2008 05:03
I don't know if this will help, but if anyone wants to see how Hergé drew Germaine, I suggest taking a look at King Ottokar's Sceptre.
On p. 59, in the frame with Tintin approaching the throne, you will see a blonde woman on the right-hand side, wearing a pink ballgown. That is Germaine and the gentleman behind her is Hergé.
Balthazar
#4 · Posted: 12 Jun 2008 14:12
I've read that she was a bit over-mothering, perhaps - he thought - holding him back from moving on from his over-respectable bourgeois early life, that sort of thing. Or that they'd just drifted apart somewhat.

They remained friends after their break up and eventual divorce, with Hergé making weekly visits to see her.

You could argue that maintaining this weekly contact when they didn't have children is a bit unusual. Maybe Hergé didn't want to fully let go, or let her fully move on; or maybe he was just trying to be kind and do the right thing.
comixfanboy
#5 · Posted: 5 May 2009 03:48
Folks,
Does anyone know if Germaine is still alive. Was just curious...
Thanks!
jock123
#6 · Posted: 5 May 2009 08:06
comixfanboy:
Does anyone know if Germaine is still alive.

She died some years ago.
quiestce
#7 · Posted: 11 May 2009 12:15
Yes, she died in October 1995.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!