Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Belvision: Who owns the video rights to the cartoons?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

number1fan
#1 · Posted: 17 Sep 2007 16:20
Does anyone know who owns the video rights to the Belevsion Tintin series?
I am becoming impatient with them not coming out on DVD - I have the 3 feature-film boxed set, but I want more!
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 18 Sep 2007 11:56
You want more? But they're rubbish!
jock123
#3 · Posted: 18 Sep 2007 17:20
Tintinrulz
But they're rubbish!
One person's "rubbish" is another's "classic"...!
Personally I loved the Belvision cartoons when I was a nipper, and they got me hooked on the books (and it all spiraled out of control from there!), so even now, when watching the old VHS tapes, they have a nostalgic charm... (altogether now: "Herrrrrrr-rrrrrr-jay's Advennnnnnn-nnnnn-nnnnnnntures of Tinnnnnn-nnnnnn-tinnnnn-nnnnnnnnn!!!!")

Back on topic, I can't say who has the rights, but I can say that Anchor Bay doesn't, and don't plan to get them (presumably the movies didn't sell in vast quantities...).
So you may wait awhile yet, number1fan, or search out the tapes on ebay or similar (I got several in a charity shop).
number1fan
#4 · Posted: 18 Sep 2007 21:38
Thanks for that little bit.I heard that the Hergggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss adventuressssssssss of tiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnntiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnn was a big myth or exageration was it actualy said it cartoons.
jock123
#5 · Posted: 18 Sep 2007 22:30
number1fan
I heard that the Hergggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss adventuressssssssss of tiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnntiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnn was a big myth or exageration was it actualy said it cartoons.
Yes, it was said over the title sequence of the five minute episodes by Paul Frees, doing a sterling job of cranking up the high drama!
number1fan
#6 · Posted: 15 May 2008 17:51
I take it still no news on the reamaining episodes getting a realease on DVD?
Max Bird
#7 · Posted: 11 Jul 2008 09:59
I personally have very fond memories of these television adaptations, too. They were shown on Dutch TV when I was about 6 or 7. I obtained some poor DVD's transferred from rental tapes just the other day, and I could still remember some of the -very different- plot lines!

Since Belvision was one of the Raymond Leblanc's undertakings (the recently passed publisher of Tintin Magazine), I think the rights are now with the http://www.fondationrleblanc.be/index.php?page=home.html. But probably they only find The Calculus Affair and the two cinema movies good enough to be published. Or maybe there is some agreement with Nelvana and/or Fondation Hergé-Moulinsart not to republish them. Also, I read somewhere that the (French) originals were missing...
Triskeliae
#8 · Posted: 15 Jul 2008 21:31
The Belvision movies are out in Europe, but I got nothing on the TV series. I ordered the DVD's of the movies and I can watch them in my computer (Region 2 DVD's can't be played in American DVD Players). The rights of the films belong to Hergé-Moulinsart from 2007. Maybe the series would come later to DVD. I hope so.
cigars of the beeper
#9 · Posted: 16 Jul 2008 12:22
Your computer can play region 2 DVDs? I could switch my drive so that it could read different regions, but it only allows you to do it something like five times. eventually, you get stuck with something!
Triskeliae
#10 · Posted: 16 Jul 2008 14:08
Well, I've used it more than 5 times..and it's still working. In fact, I chose Region 2 by default.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!