Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Land of the Soviets: Will a colour edition be released? [Locked]

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

sponsz
#11 · Posted: 22 Aug 2007 11:36
Here's what LB wrote to me yesterday :
Subject: Tintin in the Congo update

Here is a brief update on the situation with TINTIN IN THE CONGO:
Little, Brown Books for Young Readers is no longer proceeding with plans to publish Tintin in the Congo as a separate edition in the U.S. this fall. We will still offer the boxed set that includes Tintin in the Congo in one of the three-in-one volumes.This gift set is positioned as an "adult collector's edition" priced at $150.00 and will be shelved in the graphic novel section of most bookstores. It will also be shrinkwrapped and include a sell sheet that alerts consumers to the controversial content.
Yes "Tintin in the Land of the Soviets" and "Tintin and Alph-Art" are full color.
Harrock n roll
#12 · Posted: 22 Aug 2007 17:05
"Tintin in the Land of the Soviets" and "Tintin and Alph-Art" are full color

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for the info sponz. I think we can assume one of three things. Either:
a) LB are going to publish pirated colour versions of the two stories, or;
b) The studios have been colouring them and have chosen the American paperback release to launch them, or;
c) The LB person that emailed you has got their facts a bit wrong.

To be fair, Alph-art does have some colour in it, abeit via the coloured felt tip pens Hergé used in some of the sketches. But I will be very surprised if both stories are released in full colour.
cigars of the beeper
#13 · Posted: 22 Aug 2007 17:45
sponsz

I pre-ordered "Tintin in the Congo", and Amazon.com still tells me to expect it between Sept. 6 and 8. Perhaps they are still going to ship it to people who pre-ordered?
Richard
UK Correspondent
#14 · Posted: 22 Aug 2007 21:09
cigars of the beeper
I pre-ordered "Tintin in the Congo", and Amazon.com still tells me to expect it between Sept. 6 and 8. Perhaps they are still going to ship it to people who pre-ordered?

From what the LB representative wrote to Sponsz it sounds like the printing has been cancelled, in which case you won't receive one. I would assume Amazon hasn't yet been informed of this change.
sponsz
#15 · Posted: 23 Aug 2007 09:28
I will try to get more information via Casterman in Brussels. I hope that they will answer?
cigars of the beeper
#16 · Posted: 23 Aug 2007 13:59
Blistering Barnacles! Those lying Bandits, Pirates Gangsters! They tell me I can get Tintin in the Congo and then say I Can't!
P.S. My order is still supposedly on.
cigars of the beeper
#17 · Posted: 29 Sep 2007 18:04
Going back to the new edition of Soviets, there seems to be a problem. The people I ordered it from said "Will arrive by: Sunday, september 30th 2007." the problem: today is Saturday, Sept. 29th. The mail just arrived, and it turns out that those folks lied to me! I don't even think that they shipped it! Did LB decide to postpone the release of Soviets too?
EDIT:Oct. 1.
It appears that all three of these new titles have been pushed to November 1. I hope it does not go any further than this!
cigars of the beeper
#18 · Posted: 19 Nov 2007 16:00
The other day I got an email that my copy of the new edition of Tintin in the Land of the Soviets had shipped. I am expecting it today. At last! after seven months it will be in my grasp. If it comes today, I will tell you all about it and post some pictures. I hope to be able to tell people if it is worth buying or not.(by the way, I finally gave up on waiting for the new edition of Congo.)I hope that the information I (or others who might have the book) can provide about it will be useful. I am really wondering now if it is really 62 pages and colorized. Wish me luck,
CB

EDIT: It did arrive today. It is paperback, 141 pages and in black and white. I remember that several months ago someone here said that it was in color, but he must not have had his facts straight. The back cover has a picture of every Tintin book except Congo, which means that they started printing after they decided not to publish Congo. Curiously enough, the picture of Flight 714 shows that it says Flight 714 to Sydney on it, which is a direct translation from the original French title. The book is printed on glossy paper, just like the color editions. The only reason I think that this book is worth ordering is that it is paperback, making it blend in better with other Tintin books. Unfortunately, they left out the page that was labeled 97A in the hardcover edition, making it uncomplete. I am glad to have it though, because it looks good with my other Tintin books.
(sorry no pictures, I couldn't find any batteries for the camera.)
jock123
#19 · Posted: 19 Nov 2007 23:54
cigars of the beeper
I remember that several months ago someone here said that it was in color
It was you, wasn't it...? ;-)

but he must not have had his facts straight.
Well a lot of people tried to disabuse you of the notion that it was true at the time, so surely it isn't a surprise that it isn't in colour, is it?

Also the title of Flight 714 has had the to Sydney bit added to it for getting on for two years now, so it maybe has taken a little longer to percolate through on some books than others?
cigars of the beeper
#20 · Posted: 20 Nov 2007 14:36
I was not too surprised that it was not color, but I was sort of hoping. That was the first time I saw the "Flight 714 to Sydney" cover, so maybe this change just took a while to get to the United States.

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

This topic is closed.