Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Michael Farr: New biography, "The Adventures of Hergé"

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#1 · Posted: 28 Feb 2007 20:39
Amazon.co.uk is listing The Adventures of Hergé, Michael Farr's forthcoming English-language biography, for release on October 18th.

Ed
edcharlesadams
#2 · Posted: 1 Apr 2007 19:25
A few more details have been released. It will be hardback, 128 pages, and published by John Murray (as were The Complete Companion and Tintin at Sea).

Synopsis (short version):
A biographical portrait of Georges Remi, better known as Hergé, marking the centenary of his birth. It examines the life and passions of a man who, despite his fame, preferred to avoid the limelight, finding inspiration in modern art, the latest scientific developments and world affairs, and seeking enlightenment in Zen Buddhism and philosophy.

Synopsis (long version):
Hergé is best known in Britain and throughout the world as the creator of Tintin, the dauntless young reporter-hero of the strip cartoon that first appeared in 1929 to instant acclaim.

The Adventures of Tintin remain a constant point of reference throughout this new book which draws on fresh material found in the extensive archives of the Hergé Foundationas well as interviews with those who knew Hergé intimately, including his friends and colleagues.

This lavishly illustrated book examines the life and passions of a man who, despite his fame, preferred to avoid the limelight, finding inspiration in modern art, the latest scientific developments and world affairs, and seeking enlightenment in Zen Buddhism and philosophy.

It establishes the pivotal role played by cinema in his development of the strip cartoon, from the slapstick of the 1920s through the suspense of the pre-war Hitchock thrillers to the early works of Steven Spielberg - the one filmmaker he believed could bring Tintin successfully to the screen.

Apart from the strip cartoons that made his name, Hergé was an accomplished graphic designer and typographer and hishighly advanced work for advertising is reviewed as well as his later attempts at becoming an abstract painter.

Not only was Hergé fascinated by modern art, but he also became an avid collector. He greatly admired the Pop Artists Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein, buying major works of theirs, and they in turn paid tribute to him.

Ed
Tintinrulz
#3 · Posted: 2 Apr 2007 09:21
This should be an awesome read!
edcharlesadams
#4 · Posted: 10 Jul 2007 17:18
Amazon.co.uk are now displaying the cover image:

(broken link removed)

Ed
Tintinrulz
#5 · Posted: 11 Jul 2007 03:20
This book looks a treat but I wish it were longer (The Complete Companion was a very good length).
cafe_noir
#6 · Posted: 12 Jul 2007 21:56
I wonder how this will compare with Harry Thompson's biography of Hergé?
Harrock n roll
#7 · Posted: 19 Oct 2007 15:31
Look out for an exclusive serialisation of Michael Farr's The Adventures of Hergé in this weekend's Sunday Telegraph.
cafe_noir
#8 · Posted: 21 Oct 2007 09:59
this weekend's Sunday Telegraph

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be buying a copy today.
cafe_noir
#9 · Posted: 21 Oct 2007 19:55
I just read the Sunday Telegraph piece.
It's two pages dealing with Hergé and cinema, i.e. how Hergé was influenced by cinema and how cinema and television have failed to do justice to his creation (so far)...
Tintinrulz
#10 · Posted: 24 Oct 2007 01:35
It'll be a wonder if this book is ever released. Everytime I check Amazon.co.uk for more details, the release date is pushed forward several days.
Bah humbug!

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!