Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Favourite illustrators (besides Hergé)?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Richard
UK Correspondent
#1 · Posted: 27 Jul 2004 19:37
Apart from Hergé, of course, who are your favourite book illustrators?

In regard to living artists, I myself admire the work of Albert Uderzo (Astérix), Quentin Blake (the Roald Dahl books, Fantastic Daisy Artichoke) and Patrick Benson (The Minpins, William Horwood's Tales of the Willows series).

And of those who are sadly no longer with us, I am a great fan of the work of André Franquin (Gaston LaGaffe and Spirou et Fantastio, for a period), Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (The Little Prince) and E.H. Shepherd (Winnie-the-Pooh, The Wind in the Willows).
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#2 · Posted: 27 Jul 2004 21:18
Udzero and Quentin Blake would be on my list too. And E.H.Shepherd, who in Winnie-the-Pooh beautifully depicts my part of the world (Kent/Sussex).
Also Alfred Bestall of the Rupert books, with his idyllic portrayal of Nutwood and some great adventures!

Ed
jockosjungle
#3 · Posted: 27 Jul 2004 21:54
I love Quentin Blake too, not sure if you saw it Richard but there was recently an exhibition in the Harris Library, Preston

Rik
Tintinrulz
#4 · Posted: 29 Jul 2004 12:23
I enjoy the illustrations of Graeme Base (Animalia, etc), Ted Nasmith, Jon Howe and Alan Lee (Tolkien calendar artists, made into book), Fumiya Sato (The New Kindaichi Files - manga), Steve McNiven (Meridian series) and many others.
tybaltstone
#5 · Posted: 29 Jul 2004 15:26
I *love* the work of Erté (did a similar thing as Hergé later did with his initals), A M Cassandre, William Blake, Harry Clarke, Kay Neilsen, Heinrich Klay, Norman Lindsay... oh, I could go on with just a silly list, so I'll leave it at that for now!

Not included comic artists here (mentioned in other topics...).

Ed, I'm not far from the '100 Acre Wood' myself, living as I do in W. Sussex. Played Pooh sticks on 'the' bridge a couple of times.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#6 · Posted: 29 Jul 2004 18:41
I love Quentin Blake too, not sure if you saw it Richard but there was recently an exhibition in the Harris Library, Preston

Yes, I saw that exhibition - it was excellent ! I loved seeing the original artwork - the printed books simply don't do them justice. As a matter of fact, I have the exhibition poster stuck up on the wall in front of me now - very nice.

Patrick Benson is an excellent illustrator, if anyone has the chance to see any of his work - he uses pen and ink (crosshatching) with watercolour - very detailed and incredibly beautiful (especially his Wind in the Willows illustrations).
pauldurdin
Moderator Emeritus
#7 · Posted: 30 Jul 2004 00:04
Well, I'll jump off the bandwagon and make a splash with the statement that I can't stand Quentin Blake's work! :)

C. Walter Hodges and Edward Ardizzone are two of my favourites -- both prolific children's books illustrators. I'm not familiar with Benson's work, and unfortunately didn't find many examples searching online.

In comic books, Sy Barry (The Phantom) has to be second only to Hergé!

Paul
miloumuttmitt
#8 · Posted: 31 Jul 2004 21:23
I am majorly inspired by Cora Lynn Deibler. Ever heard of her? She illustrated The Danderfield Twins stories in the magazine, Spider.
I also like Greyhound's art. Do you know him?
cuthbert
#9 · Posted: 11 Aug 2004 18:11
I love Arthur Rackham's work especially Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-glass (where he draws himself as the mad-hatter), and his jugendstil kind of stuff...
thmthm
#10 · Posted: 28 Feb 2005 07:10
The old:
Dean Cornwell
Saul Tepper
J.C. Leyendecker
N.C. Weyth
Howard Pyle
Joseph Clement Cole
Heinrich Kley
Frank Godwin

The new:
Phil Hale
Mark Ryden

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!