Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Tintin article in The Independent

george
#1 · Posted: 29 Oct 2007 09:48
There's a nice piece about Tintin, tying in with the stage play, in today's Independent.

Mad about the boy: Dom Joly's obsesssion with Tintin
Never mind Bond or Bourne. If you want the ultimate globetrotting action hero to take you on a mysterious journey, look no further than the original Belgian schoolboy sleuth. As Tintin comes to the West End stage, and Steven Spielberg prepares to put his adventures on the big screen, Dom Joly looks back on the comic strip that captured his heart – and his imagination[...]

George
jock123
#2 · Posted: 29 Oct 2007 10:18
Thanks for the head’s up, george - I’ll keep an eye out for that!
Balthazar
#3 · Posted: 29 Oct 2007 10:39
Thanks for posting that link, George. It's a good article generally, though this paragraph made no sense to me:

Of course, for Tintin, travelling comes easy. This is because, in most cases, he has the most highly coveted tool of travel – not the BA gold card but the letter of introduction. Wherever he arrives, he tends to make a beeline for the local prince or maharajah, where, once said letter is handed over, he is put up in fine style for the rest of his stay.

Which books is Dom Joly thinking of here? Of course, there are certainly several books in which Tintin ends up staying with a Maharajah, King or Emir, but surely he becomes these monarchs' trusted friend and guest because he impresses them with his courage and/or honesty (often convincing them of some plot against them), not because he turns up with any letter of introduction.

I also felt a bit sorry for Dom Joly's kids, whom he mentions he's named Jackson (his son) and Parker (his daughter!) Of course, Dom Joly's a well known TV prankster, so maybe he's only pretending that these are his kids' names, as a joke on the sort of ridiculous names media celebs do give their kids.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 30 Oct 2007 09:54
Balthazar
I also felt a bit sorry for Dom Joly's kids, whom he mentions he's named Jackson (his son) and Parker (his daughter!)
Better that than Ollie and Molly Jolly, I suppose… ;-)
(Sorry that’s off-topic, but I couldn’t resist!)
tintinspartan
#5 · Posted: 5 Nov 2007 10:47
Blisterin' Barnacles! I didn't realised that I bought a 'Tintin in Vietnam' Shirt for my sister! The writer said that when he is in Vietnam, he saw shirts and posters of 'Tintin in Vietnam'. I got two of them and I knew who I bought it from. I remembered buying it from an office manager in June.

Quote from article:

In the French-speaking world, it's a badge of honour to have had Tintin visit your country. When I was in Vietnam earlier this year, I was intrigued to see posters everywhere for Tintin in Vietnam, complete with Hergé-like cover art. My heart missed a beat. Was this some long-forgotten masterpiece, a bootleg script? I searched everywhere for the book, but soon realised that it didn't actually exist. It was a sort of mass national conspiracy aimed at dealing with the fact that Tintin had never actually visited this former French-speaking colony.
Tintinrulz
#6 · Posted: 7 Nov 2007 03:55
Great article, but I'm a little freaked out by his obsession with Liz Hurley, she should be kept far from the Tintin movies.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!