Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

New Year's Eve: How do people here celebrate it?

Dupondt
#1 · Posted: 1 Jan 2008 17:22
Just curious as to how everyone spent their New Years all over the world!
tuhatkauno
#2 · Posted: 1 Jan 2008 18:47
Happy New Year from Finland

Like Tintin I don't drink alcohol "No, thanks. Not for me ... You know that (Picaros, 1)" But a regular Finn does drink booze including my share. And the regular bloke eats a hell of an amount of wieners as well. The same normal dude shouts the whole evening through (till he passes out). Oh yes at 24.00 the winter war starts: all kinds of pyrotechnics, wrestling, yelling and other dangerous things. Then the average guy swings to home (if not wounded) and starts playing with an owen: it is time to melt some tin and pour it onto the kitchen floor. Then everybody tries to interpret what the hell that pile of tin on the kitchen floor might mean. Finally it is time to puke and fade away.

This is a Finnish way to selebrate New Years.
number1fan
#3 · Posted: 1 Jan 2008 20:25
Spent it with my girlfriend, got drunk and I don't have to tell anyone the rest, lol!
Dupondt
#4 · Posted: 2 Jan 2008 01:26
Ah number1fan you rascal, XD!
I did much the same, but my girlfriend dumped me... Ah well, maybe I'm destined to be like Tintin: loveless.
It was a good party though!
tintinagalog
#5 · Posted: 2 Jan 2008 04:10
New Year's eve here in the Philippines is really a hell of a party! Why?

Prologue is the solemn prayer thirty minutes before January 1.

Afterwards... <drumrolls and trumpets, please> tantararaaaaaaan!

1. Food craves. Carnivores everywhere, even in the squatters area.
2. Binge drinkers of sodas, colas, fruits, and alcoholic liquors.
3. High-quality and sub-standard firecrackers and pyrotechnics are blown skyhigh.
4. Grand family reunions.
5. Laughs...laughs...laughs!
6. Loud video-karaoke performances.
7. Live Yuletide greetings on-air.
8. Textings and callings on mobile phones and landlines.
9. Disco and ballroom jigs accompanied with boombastic tracks.
10. Hitting tin cans, casseroles, aluminum basins, and glasses for fifteen minutes. Playing with my family is the "Combo Gallon", a band of four using several empty gallons of different sizes.
11. Blowing of horns.
12. Crimes of the grinch still happen in some areas.

It depends on an individual if he or she will sleep an hour after twelve a.m., or stay awake till the break of the dawn.
zaveri_tintin
#6 · Posted: 2 Jan 2008 08:34
I just sit at home and watch a movie upto 12 P.M and have soft-drinks along with ice-creams.

In India celebrating "New Year bash" outdoors is a dangerous affair. In the extreme cases people get severely injured and few of them even lose their lives.

And yes, happy new year everyone!
cigars of the beeper
#7 · Posted: 2 Jan 2008 20:13
I did nothing unusual. Many Americans have loud and noisy parties with lots of alcohol, though. I'm still below drinking age, but like Tintin, I think even once I can drink it, I will abstain.
Balthazar
#8 · Posted: 2 Jan 2008 21:16
tuhatkauno
Then the average guy swings to home (if not wounded) and starts playing with an owen...

Who is this Owen, Tuhatkauno, and how does he feel about all these drunk average Finnish guys coming home and starting to play with him? ;-)

To answer Dupondt's question, New Year involves a pretty big street party here in Edinburgh. I've greatly enjoyed my fair share of pleasantly drunken New Year's Eves over the years, in Edinburgh and elsewhere. However, these days, what with having young kids (and with my powers of quick hangover recovery failing with age), I find that we tend to have a pretty quiet one without venturing from our neighbourhood or even our house. Good fireworks visible from our upstairs window, though, through the drizzle and mist.
tuhatkauno
#9 · Posted: 3 Jan 2008 11:50
Balthazar

Poor Mr. Owen, I'm so sorry, but that's what we Finnish guys are. And guess what, tomorrow I'll go hair hunting, it is very popular sport in Finland, you should try. Did you know, that a Finnish hair is white in the wintertime and brown in the summertime. What about a Edinburghian hair, is it ginger? Or haven't you seen any lately? (English is bit difficult language) ;-)

Happy New Year Balthie
snowybella
#10 · Posted: 9 Jan 2018 00:13
Didn't do very much at New Year's Eve or even on New Year, as far as I remember: we just changed our calendar and read a lot (as usual).

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!