Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

[Locked] "Unicorn" Movie: Casting discussion

Page  Page 13 of 16:  « Previous  1  ...  12  13  14  15  16  Next » 

Sapristi
#121 · Posted: 3 Feb 2008 15:48
Hello!

This months issue of Empire (the one with Hellboy on the front cover) has a brief interview with Andy Serkis while on set for Tintin over in New Zeland. (Some of it is also online on the Empire website.)

It sounds like he's excited about the project. He's even bought himself a set of the books to read and, i imagine, to help get him into character!
That said, its still unclear who he's going to play, but the feeling seems to be that everybody would be surprised if it wasn't Captain Haddock.

Apparently the 20 minute test reel last year had Peter Jackson himself starring as Tintin! (Still no news on who might play him.)

Moderator note: Edited to add link to the Empire article.
Jeeves
#122 · Posted: 4 Feb 2008 04:21
IMDB has someone listed as in the film called Christian Mayburuh who looks like a likely candidate.
jock123
#123 · Posted: 5 Feb 2008 13:26
Sapristi
its still unclear who he's going to play, but the feeling seems to be that everybody would be surprised if it wasn't Captain Haddock.
It’s entirely possible that he’d play any and all of the characters if it’s possible for Peter Jackson to play Tintin!
Remember, Andy Serkis was both Gollum and Smeagel in The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and King Kong as well as the live-action ship’s cook in PJ’s KK remake, so you don’t have to look the part to play it really. Thanks for the heads-up on the article, by the way!

Jeeves
IMDB has someone listed as in the film called Christian Mayburuh who looks like a likely candidate.
If you mean Kirsten Myburgh, it doesn’t seem to be listed in his own biog on IMDB at the moment. He has been mentioned for the part several times in the past, as least as far back as 2004 (a search of the forums will find his name mentioned a few times). Given that his own website has pics of him posing in plus-fours and blue jumper, that perhaps he is an actor with ambitions of playing Tintin, and who may be soliciting for the part, rather than someone the studio was considering themselves. He also looks a might old for the part, if looks actually mattered in the case of a CGI movie…
cigars of the beeper
#124 · Posted: 5 Feb 2008 17:38
jock123
Andy Serkis was both Gollum and Smeagel in The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Remember, though, that Gollum and Smeagol were actually the same character.
Sapristi
#125 · Posted: 5 Feb 2008 22:51
It’s entirely possible that he’d play any and all of the characters if it’s possible for Peter Jackson to play Tintin!

You'd think so, I mean I would, but the more reliable websites seem to say that Serkis won't be playing Tintin. Only time will tell I suppose.

Since reading it, I can't shake the mental image of Jackson in plus fours and blue jumper!

I'd love to see that test reel. If it won over Moulinsart and Spielberg it'd have to have been pretty special.

Thanks for the heads-up on the article, by the way!

You're welcome, and thanks for linking to the Empire article; I didn't know how. I'm still new to this forum-posting jiggery-pokery.

Combined two consecutive posts.
jock123
#126 · Posted: 6 Feb 2008 14:35
cigars of the beeper
Remember, though, that Gollum and Smeagol were actually the same character.
I'm not certain what your point is - I'm only using the illustration that the look of the real actor doesn't matter when it comes to the character he appears as in the CGI.
So just because Andy Serkis has a beard and is a man wouldn't necessarily confine him to the rôle of Captain Haddock - he could even be multiple characters in the same scene (as indeed he was when Gollum and Smeagol "confront" each other.
Sapristi
the more reliable websites seem to say that Serkis won't be playing Tintin
I've not seen much in the way of reliable info - what sites have you seen it on?
Sapristi
#127 · Posted: 6 Feb 2008 17:28
Sorry- I was umm-ing and ahh-ing whether to call them 'reliable'; I meant better-known websites like the BBC that you'd hope would be more cautious about posting gossip as fact, if you know what I mean.

Here is a link to a BBC website that mentions Serkis and Tintin

And here's something I've just seen today on tintin.com

Does anyone fancy nipping over to Brussels with a couple of Euros to grab a copy of Le Soir Magazine?

And if the front cover isn't a massive hint to one of the stories they're going to use, then I don't know what is!

(Le Soir was the newspaper Herge worked for in the 40s wasn't it?)

Maybe things'll become clearer soon, casting wise.

Moderator Note: Post edited to correct links, which were incorrectly formatted - they work now!
cigee
#128 · Posted: 7 Feb 2008 01:58
I’ve not seen much in the way of reliable info - what sites have you seen it on?

I don't know how "reliable", but Coming soon.net claimed they quoted a studio source. Their story was still up, as of this evening.

I hope this help :-)
Triskeliae
#129 · Posted: 17 Mar 2008 03:36
I think the movies will be in CGI and the actor who played both Gollum in The Lord of The Rings Trilogy and King Kong will play Captain Haddock. With Spielberg and Peter Jackson, I believe the film will be a great one. Let's hope that the Hollywood machinery won't ruin this new Tintin adaptation.
Triskeliae
#130 · Posted: 17 Mar 2008 04:27
In fact, I just found on the internet an interview to said actor: Andy Serkis. It came from Indielondon. The interviewer asked him about the Tintin movies (yes, they're planning on doing more than one!):

Q. Are you going to be reuniting with Peter Jackson again for Tintin?

Andy Serkis: In fact tomorrow I’m flying out to start on Tintin. Steven Spielberg is directing the first one, and then Peter Jackson is doing the second. The bulk of the shoot starts in September but things got a little bit moved around after the writers’ strike.

...................................................................... .........................

Q. Were you at all worried when Peter first got back in touch that having played Gollum and King Kong, he might ask you to play Snowy the dog?
Andy Serkis: [laughs] Absolutely, in fact people assume that I am, which is even more disturbing [he’s playing Captain Haddock].

Page  Page 13 of 16:  « Previous  1  ...  12  13  14  15  16  Next » 

This topic is closed.