Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Dustin the Turkey and his Eurovision journey

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

cigars of the beeper
#11 · Posted: 1 Mar 2008 16:00
Etterbeek

What American things DON'T we have in Europe?? (*sigh*)

I'm sorry for you that my country doesn't keep its stupid ideas and TV and stuff to itself, but I can assure you that it is not my fault. If I had any say, even Americans wouldn't need to put up with SpongeBob and American Idol.
Balthazar
#12 · Posted: 1 Mar 2008 17:06
Etterbeek
What American things DON'T we have in Europe?? (*sigh*)

I'm no fan of the current US leadership and the effect its actions (and in-actions) are having on the rest of the world, but I hate the wave of general anti-Americanism that seems to be so fashionable in Britain and the rest of Europe at the moment.

As Eurovision shows, us Europeans are quite capable of making TV that's just as tacky as anything imported from the US. And a lot of the American TV we get is really classy - right up there with the best of our home-grown stuff.

(Actually, Cigars, since you mention it, I've become a bit of a SpongeBob fan since watching it with my kids; it's a lot more stylish and witty than the name and the marketing suggests.)

Of course there are bad things that the US has given Europe, but that's balanced by plenty of good things. More than balanced by what they gave Europe during the last World War, surely.

Anyway, sorry to drift off topic and into issues of xenophobia and politics. Good luck to Dustin for Eurovision, and good luck to whatever song/group gets selected for the UK. We've entered some really embarrassing rubbish in recent years! If they could turn Bucks Fizz or Brotherhood of Man into sock puppets, maybe we'd be onto something.
waveofplague
#13 · Posted: 1 Mar 2008 23:04
Toohotsauna? You mean to imply that you don't like astro-transvestites?
tuhatkauno
#14 · Posted: 2 Mar 2008 09:59
Hello everybody

Take a look at this video, the Finnish national winner this year: "Teräsbetoni" is the name of the band and "Missä miehet ratsastaa" is the piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLI4pl8YU9Y

Do you understand now, what I ment by referring to our embarrasing Eurovision history? Now this, we did it again, the Finnish Spinal Tap, what do you like? Better than Dustin?

Wave, I don't have anything against transvestites (or anybody else) as long as they behave. But these particular astro-transvestites failed to achieve a tolerable artistic level, that's my opinion :)

EDIT: Wavienne, I almost forgot, our own transvestite came third in the competition, Crystal Snow, he/she won some drag queen competition a year or two ago, here she is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nqNvisb85I

After all, I prefer our Spinal Tap, the lyrics are marvellous, it is a pity you non-Finns can't understand them :-)
Dupondt
#15 · Posted: 2 Mar 2008 11:42
Haha! Well I'm quite biased towards Dustin but that's hilarious! It is quite Spinal Tap actually, They're dressed like Derek Smalls
jockosjungle
#16 · Posted: 2 Mar 2008 20:28
Although I'm not massively proud of it Cigars, I'd, like to point out that Britain gave you American Idol, not the other way round. The pointless drivel that is Popstars and Pop Idol was gracing our televisions a good couple of years before America.

The UK entry this year is awful, we're clearly not going to win.

The best thing about the Eurovision is that the Eastern European countries think it is really prestigous to win the contest and really try hard, I sort of feel like i should tell them that the rest of Europe think it a joke.

R
Grey
#17 · Posted: 2 Mar 2008 20:48
I actually know some people who can't even sing to save their lives who can win the Eurovision.
cigars of the beeper
#18 · Posted: 3 Mar 2008 20:59
jockosjungle

Are you sure that American Idol was inspired by Britain, or did someone in my country come up with it on his own?

Balthazar

I think that maybe Anti-Americanism is actually close to being a good thing. This country is way too big and mean.
katiepetal
#19 · Posted: 14 Mar 2008 00:20
Ah come on lads. Ye are giving Dustin an awful hard time. How much worse can he be than last years entry. At least if we do really badly this year it can be blamed on the fact he is a puppet and not just that the song was rubbish like last year. Anyway, he's after getting so much attention I think he could win for that alone. Isn't the eurovision supposed to be cheesy anyway??????
There is loads of support out there for him, most of the radiop stations are supporting him, even one of the english ones with Chris Moyles. Today fm are of course, there are a million forum posts on him and even this website doing a fowl supporting fowl thing which is quite funny www.hen-party.ie.
I think we should give Dustin a break. For the first time in years maybe the people of Ireland will watch the eurovision to see what will happen. That can't be a bad thing. And even if Dustin crashes and burns at least we will have all had a good laugh.
jock123
#20 · Posted: 14 Mar 2008 21:28
cigars of the beeper wrote:
Are you sure that American Idol was inspired by Britain, or did someone in my country come up with it on his own?

I know that it isn’t always the most accurate source of info, Beeper, but this Wikipedia article has the details…

And before the discussion derails further off into the pros and cons of the U.S. of A., which has all the hallmarks of a powder keg awaiting the attentions of Sir Francis Haddock, let us leave that line of discussion, and return to the burning issues of sock puppet turkeys and the Eurovision Song Contest (which I happen to quite like, and think it’s a pity that it just gets sent up, just because Sir Terry doesn’t care for any music which might be Balkan or in any way not of his taste…).

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!