Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Ever used Tintin in your school projects or essays?

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Etterbeek
#11 · Posted: 23 Jan 2008 00:05
I just took a short class on Graphic Design and designed a folder. It was for an exhibition at The Modern Art Museum in Stockholm to celebrate Tintin's 80th birhtday next year. Turned out to be pretty good and the teacher thought it was a real event... But sadly it wasn't, would have loved to see that one...
Little Mijarka
#12 · Posted: 11 Mar 2008 04:33
Diego the Dreadful wrote:
I drew a brief parallel to "Tintin in the Congo" in my exam essay on colonialism in Conrad's "Heart of Darkness". I had done this earlier in the year and had been criticized for it. Luckily for me the person marking my exam paper must have been a Tintin fan because I got 94%

I did almost the same thing! We were given an assignment on colonialism and how it is received in the world today, looking back, I suppose, and I came across that whole controversy regarding "Congo." It was the perfect visual aid/ reference for the time. The teacher at first was skeptical about my choice of a "comic book" but supposedly liked it and I got a high mark.
tintinspartan
#13 · Posted: 11 Mar 2008 15:19
I was told to write about the Manchurian Incident which by luck relates to the Blue Lotus. I manage to get the picture of it

Also, just red Tintin and The Land of The Soviets and I found quite interesting info that I could recommend to the History Teachers to use the graphics in the book as a test paper question.
Grey
#14 · Posted: 11 Mar 2008 18:34
I used Tintin books as an example in History when I was learning about the Nazis and Hitler. Generally I compared the behaviours of Colonel Sponz and Hitler, and whoever else was somewhat communist in the books. Got a good grade for it =D.
Little Mijarka
#15 · Posted: 17 Mar 2008 00:45
In history we discussed how some authors try to slip things under the radar and my example was Herge's use of the "fictitious" dictator Mussler...which as we know is Mussolini and Hitler.
Triskeliae
#16 · Posted: 17 Mar 2008 03:47
I haven't used Tintin for college papers ( I met Tintin through the Ellipse-Nelvana series in 1994, by my third year of College), but, for research, it would be great to check out these titles.

"Tintin and The World of Hergé", by Benoit Peeters,
and the books written by Michael Farr such as "Tintin & Co.", "The Adventures of Hergé: Creator of Tintin"and "The Tintin Companion".

Of course, to read these, it is essential to have the comic books and analyze the stories.
Voluma
#17 · Posted: 15 Feb 2009 14:53
I've mentioned Tintin a few times in my English work, but sadly my form are so mind-bogglingly unintelligent that the teacher has to spend weeks at a time trying to force-feed them The Tempest, which provides little scope for the imagination. I'm hoping to take graphic design for GCSE though, so maybe I'll be able to slip Tintin in there. ;)
Balthazar
#18 · Posted: 15 Feb 2009 16:19
Voluma
...the teacher has to spend weeks at a time trying to force-feed them The Tempest, which provides little scope for the imagination...

There's surely an essay to be written on the influence of The Tempest on Flight 714 to Sidney. Look at all the connections and similarities - characters being brought to a deserted island by a man who everyone thought was dead, for a struggle over power and money; the marooned characters getting split up and being manipulated by supernatural forces; heavenly beings descending on the island towards the conclusion of the story; etc, etc. Flight 714 even has an Italian steward/cook in the marooned party.

Of course, there aren't exact plot parallels. Although Rastapoulous casts himself as a Prospero, with his plot to bring everyone to the island and control everything, it's Kanrokitoff who ends up taking that role of the supernatural manipulator. He even has an aerial to help him.

I guess most island stories in fiction owe something to The Tempest (though no doubt Shakespeare himself pinched his plot ideas from an even earlier source. He usually did.)
greatsnakes
#19 · Posted: 15 Feb 2009 19:04
Voluma, forgive me... by form do you mean class? Is that kind of like pants vs trousers ? :) Way back in the 90s I suggested to my french teacher at the time we watch a few episodes of the Nelvana tv adaption (taped onto vhs in french of course)... and she agreed! That's about it for me, but it's neat to hear people have been able to integrate the books into class discussions or serious essays, or even art.
Voluma
#20 · Posted: 17 Feb 2009 16:49
Balthazar:
There's surely an essay to be written on the influence of The Tempest on Flight 714 to Sidney.

O_O I never thought of it like that, but you're absolutely right! Wait till my English teacher sees this essay. =)

greatsnakes:
Voluma, forgive me... by form do you mean class? Is that kind of like pants vs trousers ? :)

Yes, 'form' means 'class'. But I'm a little confused - I live in England. At primary school we called them classes, at secondary school they're forms.

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!