Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Things I never noticed in Tintin comics until now

Page  Page 2 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

jock123
#11 · Posted: 6 Mar 2008 07:16
Jeeves wrote:
Despite the fact that Castafiore is high up in fashionable society her clothing is consistently ugly

Ugly it may be - that's what personal taste is all about, after all - but fashionable is what it was.
I guess it shows that haute couture need not be nice; as a costume designer you might like to know that Hergé took great delight and care in making sure that (as with so many details in the albums) he had real-world references for the Nightingale's outfits, and used pages from magazines such as Vogue to make sure that she was dressed in the latest and highest styles.

I think you are rather hard on her anyway, she often looks rather chic to me!
Jeeves
#12 · Posted: 9 Mar 2008 07:10
jock123 wrote:
used pages from magazines such as Vogue to make sure that she was dressed in the latest and highest styles.

Yes I do know that!
Ok obviously no one agrees with me on that front, but I stand firm, I am not a fan of a lot of her clothing.
Oh fun fact, Hergé aparently used to do fashion illustrations during the 30's (I didn't know this before)
Grey
#13 · Posted: 9 Mar 2008 12:11
I never noticed any references in the Tintin books until now. Especially when the Captain's top is inside out in 'Sharks'.
Jeeves
#14 · Posted: 10 Mar 2008 06:36
Yeah, I started reading Tintin when I was a kid and have recently rediscovered the greatness that is Tintin. As a result noticed a lot of things that totaly flew over my head before.
Dupondt
#15 · Posted: 11 Mar 2008 20:23
I was reading the Black Island again and I noticed in frame 7 on page 6, Snowy has a bandage on his cheek, there doesn't seem to be any reason for this, anyone have any ideas? It was after he gave Tintin away to the Thompsons by chasing after the cat, perhaps Tintin took a kick at him, =O
Jeeves
#16 · Posted: 11 May 2008 17:22
Jeeves wrote:
Tintin says, "You remember my friend Captian Haddock?" but the two have never met

Okay, I figured out the reason for this!
Apparently Seven Crystal Balls was translated into English after Red Sea Sharks and The Calculus Affair.
So, in the order English-speakers would have read them, Haddock had already met Bianca and Alcazar in Red Sea Sharks and The Calculus Affair.
Little Mijarka
#17 · Posted: 11 May 2008 18:49
In "King Ottokar's Sceptre," the Bordurian dictator's name is Musstler, a combination of Mussolini and Hitler. Could Herge have been using Tintin as a way to express his political opinions? I would hope so, since Musstler is portrayed as the antagonist...

Also in "Ottokar," Herge and his wife can be seen in the crowd when Tintin and Snowy are presented to the king. (Look for the lady in the pink ballgown on the right-hand side of page 59. That's Mrs. Remi. The blonde gentleman, who can also be found on page 38, is Herge.)
Jeeves
#18 · Posted: 11 May 2008 20:39
Little Mijarka wrote:
In "King Ottokar's Sceptre," the Bordurian dictator's name is Musstler, a combination of Mussolini and Hitler. Could Herge have been using Tintin as a way to express his political opinions?

Those who (like me) do not believe Herge to be a Nazi supporter would say yes
cigars of the beeper
#19 · Posted: 12 May 2008 00:36
Herge was definitely not a Nazi, I say, but that is a discussion for a different topic.
Jeeves
#20 · Posted: 12 May 2008 01:54
I know, that was my point: that he was using King Ottokar's Sceptre to express his political opinions.
Moderator Note: There's no need to be brusque! Kindly allow other members to have their say too - everyone is welcome to contribute.

Page  Page 2 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!