Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Snowy: Male or female...?

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

miloumuttmitt
#1 · Posted: 10 Aug 2004 19:21
It has been confirmed that Snowy is a male in Tintin in Tibet. So why is there a poll on his gender?
finlay
#2 · Posted: 13 Aug 2004 11:15
Yeah, it shouldn't even be an issue of any form!
marsbar
#3 · Posted: 14 Aug 2004 00:12
You'd be amazed how many queries we have received over the past ten years regarding Snowy's sex. At one stage the question even broke into our top 10 listing of frequently asked questions.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 15 Aug 2004 09:04
Snowy's sex is male; like most other characters in the books, his gender is distinctly neuter.

Exceptions to this general neutrality would be Wagg (wife and children); Alcazar (wife); Mrs Alcazar (husband); Castafiore (distinctly predatory lady) and (surprisingly), that red-blooded, hot headed, Romeo of the reactor and lothario of the laboratory - hang onto your hats and lock up your daughters - Cuthbert Calculus!!!!?!?!

His pursuit of the "chantoosy" known as the Milanese Nightingale definitely puts him top of the tree as Alpha-male at Marlinspike. No bromide in his tea!!

I do not like to speculate as to whether there was anything going on between Igor and Irma, but I feel there might have been...
decimusphostle
#5 · Posted: 27 Aug 2004 23:18
Just a little interesting note: Snowy's gender is undoubtedly male; Tintin refers to him as "he" many times throughout the series, and in Tintin and Alph-Art, he is attracted to Castafiore's aloof poodle, showing for the first time a distinct interest in another dog.

Although his gender is the same, his name is French-Milou-, is in fact a female name, derived from the nickname of Herge's first girlfriend, whilst still at school.
germ
#6 · Posted: 29 Aug 2004 07:10
He also was interested in lady dogs so I would assume he is a male dog!!
finlay
#7 · Posted: 12 Sep 2004 13:07
Milou wasn't how Hergé's girlfriend spelt it, though.
jockosjungle
#8 · Posted: 18 Sep 2004 21:44
Snowy does wear a rather feminine pink bow on deck in The Shooting Star. Maybe "he" is a girl after all.

Personally I think he is male, but perhaps his gender was uncertain until the later adventures

Rik
OJG
#9 · Posted: 19 Sep 2004 17:38
I think Snowy was intended to be male. I remember Tintin referring to him as 'boy' more than once in the cartoon. And all the evidence from the books (as stated above) says so too.
Peveus
#10 · Posted: 16 Mar 2005 13:08
Snowy is a boy for sure. It's Tintin who put the pink bow on him and Tintin is questionably feminine. Tintin and the Picaros was the first (and unfortunately also last) time Tintin was actually developed properly as a character and throughout that book he does a lot of girly things. Namely holding himself efeminately. Look at his hands while he drinks tea! TELL ME THAT ISNT EFFEMINATE!

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!