Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other works by Hergé /

Jo, Zette & Jocko: What are the stories like?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

tintinmob
#1 · Posted: 19 Sep 2004 00:39
I am in the process of ordering a Jo, Zette & Jocko Destination New York book from eBay.
What are they like, since I am primarily a Tintin fan?
jockosjungle
#2 · Posted: 19 Sep 2004 08:35
They are excellent, although you may want to source a copy of Mr Pump's Legacy prior to Destination New York, as it's a two part adventure.

The books sit nicely alongside Tintin, not as good as Hergé's true masterpieces like Tintin in Tibet, but they are as good as most of the others.

www.jockosjungle.co.uk for more info

Rik
SingingGandalf
#3 · Posted: 4 May 2006 19:09
They are sort of half Tintin, half Quick and Flupke, with children and a monkey as the heroes, but with advetures like those of Tintin. The heroes, unlike Tintin, also have families to return too, which is one reason Herge didn't write more of these stories.
Triskeliae
#4 · Posted: 10 Jun 2008 22:10
I just got "The Valley of the Cobras" and it is fun to read. Good story. Not like Tintin, but I liked it!
IvanIvanovitch
#5 · Posted: 12 Jun 2008 05:07
Weren't the stories written as a result of external influence? I think someone was concerned about Tintin's lack of home life and the effect his example might have on kids, and asked Herge' to remedy the issue with a new series. Or something like that.
Triskeliae
#6 · Posted: 12 Jun 2008 05:35
Yeah, someone asked Hergé to make characters "that had a mom and a dad". So, he obliged.
Jocko
#7 · Posted: 1 Aug 2008 00:52
I have read Destination New York, and I think that its storytelling is just as good as that of any Tintin adventure. The characters are very amazing, and make you become attached to them just like Tintin characters, like Snowy. Jocko is a rival to Snowy in terms of animal characters. I haven't read the book preceding Destination New York, and it still made sense to me and wasn't hard to catch up to the storyline at all, so you should be able to understand it fine without reading the one before.
Tintinrulz
#8 · Posted: 1 Aug 2008 10:10
I don't think Zette and Jo are all that interesting but Jocko is brilliant. Who wouldn't want a pet chimp?
Triskeliae
#9 · Posted: 2 Aug 2008 00:49
I like the stories. I have them all. Yet, The Adventures of Tintin are superior. Still, they are very entertaining and I must admire Hergé because he made these stories without the passion he had for Tintin...and still they were very creative!
Mikael Uhlin
#10 · Posted: 2 Aug 2008 08:39
Tintinrulz:
I don't think Zette and Jo are all that interesting but Jocko is brilliant. Who wouldn't want a pet chimp?

Jocko is almost a bit like Marsupilami in the stories about Spirou and Fantasio (or rather, Marsupilami is like Jocko). Otherwise, it's pretty obvious that all the action in the Legrand family is restricted to the men. Jo and his father Jacques are really the main characters in the stories with Jocko acting as the clown. Zette and especially the nameless mother are mainly crying or worrying. A noticeable exception is L'Eruption du Karamako, the 2nd part of the Super Ray-story, where Zette is leading the story.

Another thing; in a frame on page 33 in Le Testament de M. Pump, there's a portrait of Captain Haddock hanging on the wall in the home of the Legrands. Could this indicate some sort of relationship?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!