Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Tintin: Small "homage" in Indiana Jones?

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

jock123
#11 · Posted: 11 Jun 2008 21:52
Rocky wrote:
Sid James would be proud!

LOL! I've found myself sniggering at the trailer every time I've seen it just because of the name, but that's made it even funnier!
For those not in the U.K., or too young to remember, I have to point out that Hancock's Half Hour (most usually known to the public just as Hancock) was a long-running radio and TV series of the nineteen-fifties and sixties, starring the incomparably funny Tony Hancock, who played a down-at-heel, highly pompous, unexpectedly miserable comedian/ actor of the same name, who was often involved at the wrong end of the petty get-rich-quick schemes of his "friend" Sid (James).

The thought of Will Smith playing Hancock, as if this was a big-screen TV adaptation, is priceless. Sorry, that was even further off-topic, but I felt it was worth a bit of explanation.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#12 · Posted: 12 Jun 2008 00:12
I love Galton and Simpson's writing, it's incomparable.

And good to see that Bill Kerr is still with us...

Ed
tintinspartan
#13 · Posted: 16 Jun 2008 20:21
Oh ya, I do believe that Indiana Jones is his version of Tintin, since Speilberg originally wanted to do a Tintin film.
Little Mijarka
#14 · Posted: 16 Jun 2008 20:34
I remember reading somewhere that Speilberg actually based Indy on Tintin. If you've seen the movies, it's not hard to see how!
jock123
#15 · Posted: 16 Jun 2008 20:57
tintinspartan:
Oh ya, I do believe that Indiana Jones is his version of Tintin since Speilberg originally wanted to do a Tintin film.

Little Mijarka:
I remember reading somewhere that Speilberg actually based Indy on Tintin. If you've seen the movies, it's not hard to see how!

Nope, honestly, he didn't! He was hired to direct George Lucas's creation: read back in this thread. Steven Spielberg contributed to the franchise, but he didn't create it, didn't write the story or the script, and it wasn't based on Tintin!
Little Mijarka
#16 · Posted: 8 Jul 2008 22:56
jock123:
Nope, honestly, he didn't!

Thanks for putting the facts straight! How exactly did Spielberg get introduced to Tintin?

Somewhat on-topic and I'm sure it's been mentioned, but...

When I saw Crystal Skull, I was heavily reminded of Prisoners of the Sun (they were in Peru, in a marketplace, looking for a relic) and then Flight 714 with the whole ancient civilization that worshipped/ were aliens. The entire time I was in the theatre that's all I could think!
Jocko
#17 · Posted: 1 Aug 2008 00:55
Crystal Skull definitely was influenced by Tintin, as the director, Stephan Spielberg, has been a fan of Tintin ever since someone remarked that the first few Indiana Jones movies are similar to Tintin, and he gave the books a read.
Moderator Note: You'd need to take that up with George Lucas and his writers - they wrote Crystal Skulls, not Mr. Spielberg...
The Tintinologist Team
tintinagalog
#18 · Posted: 3 Aug 2008 07:17
Little Mijarka:
When I saw Crystal Skull, I was heavily reminded of Prisoners of the Sun

What about the lined trucks on the rough road, and the pyramid which are also seen in Tintin and the Picaros?

Moderator Note: As above, you'd need to see George Lucas & Cº for that, not Mr. Spielberg...
The Tintinologist Team
Chuckles_Merrily
#19 · Posted: 9 Feb 2009 08:21
My dad always said that Stephen Spielberg got his Indiana Jones inspiration from Tintin XD

Moderator Note: Sorry, dad - no! See here for details to the contrary... ;-)
rodneyrouchy
#20 · Posted: 26 May 2009 16:18
Jock123,

Fascinating read!

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!