Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Golden Fleece: Is the film book worth restoring?

nestor
#1 · Posted: 4 Aug 2004 22:08
[Thread moved from 'Tintin Books' forum]

Just bought some second-hand Tintin books including Golden Fleece (Woo-hoo! Been after it for years!). The condition of some of them aren't the best (they're all sixties editions), and I was wondering if anyone here has explored the avenue of "restoring" their books. Is it worth doing? Will it devalue them?
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 6 Aug 2004 03:40
Hi,

That's great that you have Golden Fleece - I've been after that for years too. Are the other Tintin books rare?

I don't know anything about the subject but I suggest you don't restore them as it would devalue them, because they wouldn't be in their original state any longer.

If you are eager enough, why don't you scan in all the pages, fix them up in a paint program (restore image quality etc) and print it off and get it bound?

It may cost a fair bit but at least you won't have to worry about the original crumbling to dust every time you read it.

Just a thought.
marsbar
#3 · Posted: 6 Aug 2004 03:48
The English edition of the film books are rare, but not the French.
nestor
#4 · Posted: 9 Aug 2004 00:50
Hey, thanks for that Tintinrulz, definitely something to think about (the scanning idea). I think Golden Fleece is the only "rarity", the others are just old.

Update posted: 10 Aug 2004 00:28:02
Just received the books and Golden Fleece is actually in the best condition of the lot! A few scuffs, but holding together beautifully, and none of the "flakey cover syndrome" I read about elsewhere.
So how about the other normal volumes? Has anyone taped up spines or reinforced them? I'm looking for pointers on what the best material to use are, and techniques, I guess (or even if I should do it!)
marsbar
#5 · Posted: 10 Aug 2004 06:34
nestor wrote: I'm looking for pointers on what the best material to use are, and techniques, I guess

Is saving up for a new set of regular Tintin books an option? :)
If not, take a look at this guide to repairing books the proper way, by Dartmouth University's Preservation Services: Note - Broken link removed
- marsbar
jockosjungle
#6 · Posted: 10 Aug 2004 11:01
I suppose you could always back the books with that sticky backed plastic stuff you used to protect school books with, would protect them a bit.

I really don't think the books are worth restoring, it'll take off any value that they had, and to be honest unless it's a super rare edition it'll hardly be worth doing as a regular secondhand Tintin book is probably worth about a £1.

I'd just keep the books from getting any more damage by taking good care of them

Rik
nestor
#7 · Posted: 10 Aug 2004 21:51
Thanks for the link, marsbar. I'm actually replacing my soft-cover editions with hard-covers.
Five of the eight I bought turned out to be English first editions (not that that really matters to me).
Good point too, rik, thanks for that.
Semoi
#8 · Posted: 19 Aug 2004 20:53
I've got them in Dutch, English and French, all in a "like new" condition, and I don't think it's worth repairing.

Look on ebay, there are so many left in great condition, and they go for much cheaper than restoring would cost.

Greetings

Semoi

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!