Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Catch that quote!

Page  Page 1 of 27:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  24  25  26  27  Next » 

IvanIvanovitch
#1 · Posted: 9 Aug 2008 07:20
We're Tintinologists, and we pride ourselves on our Tintin knowledge. So, grab your albums, because here's a test. Read the Tintin quote the person above you left. Find the source: the book, speaker and page number. List your source info and below it another quote.
Okay, catch:

"Ha, bully! Ha, pirate! Ha, pickled herring!"
cigars of the beeper
#2 · Posted: 9 Aug 2008 12:37
Captain Haddock is speaking, on page 53, panel 11 of The Secret of the Unicorn.

Here's a new one:

"Hands up!...Bang!...Bang!...Bang!"

Moderator Note: Combined two consecutive posts

Darn it! This looked like it was going to be fun! Why didn't it catch on?

Moderator Note: While it is realised that your doing so was the result of frustration, it isn’t done to “bump” a post when it doesn’t get a response; if people wish to participate, they will.

The Happy Tintinologist Team
IvanIvanovitch
#3 · Posted: 4 Sep 2008 18:24
Maybe something less general, like this:
"...So along comes this other chap and unties the others. I tried to stop him...But even Snowy the Champ knows when he's beaten at four to one, so I hopped it. I picked up the Tintin trail, and here we are!"
Balthazar
#4 · Posted: 4 Sep 2008 22:38
cigars of the beeper
Darn it! This looked like it was going to be fun! Why didn't it catch on?

I think the reason may be that the requirement to give the page number with the answer makes it too much work to enter. For instance, I think, from memory, that I recognise the quote you gave -

- as being Jolyon Wagg coming into Calculus's lab in The Calculus Affair and making Tintin and Haddock jump, just after they've encountered the Bordurian spy, and just before they leave for Geneva. I'd be happy to chance it as a guess, even though I may be wrong, but I don't have time to go and look it up and check, or get the page number. If we were able to submit descriptive from-memory guesses like this, without needing to give page numbers, it might be a more fun game to play casually.
tuhatkauno
#5 · Posted: 6 Sep 2008 14:10
hi

This "catch that quote" - game is a good idea, I adore all the quiz's concerning tintin. Now, the idea will work if you think bit before setting the question. Like Balthazar said, it is a good idea if memory and one's power of deduction are needed. The last quote gave nothing to catch, after Jolyon Wagg and few other possibilities you had to find the answer at random, that's why no answers appeared. But worry not dear fellows, we are ready to catch those quotes, if someone will ask.

tuhis :)
Balthazar
#6 · Posted: 6 Sep 2008 15:39
Regarding the specifics of the quote that Cigars gave us to catch -

- both you, Tuhatkauno, and you, IvanIvanovitch, have implied that it's too general and undistinctive to guess.

This puzzled me, until I realized just now that maybe you're reading it as "Hands up!" being the speech and "Bang!...Bang!...Bang!" being merely sound effects from an actual gun. If this was the case, you'd be right - there are probably too many instances of a someone saying "Hands up" followed by shots being fired for it to be a good, guessable question.

But I was reading the quote as having the "Bang!...Bang!...Bang!" as part of the person's actual speech. If this is the case, then I think Cigars must have picked quite a distinctive and guessable quote. There can't be that many examples in the Tintin books of someone actually saying "Bang!...Bang!...Bang!" It would probably either have to be someone messing around, like Wagg, or someone who'd gone a bit mad (Sarcophogus springs to mind now).

Could you clarify, Cigars?
tuhatkauno
#7 · Posted: 6 Sep 2008 17:42
Balthazar:
But I was reading the quote as having the "Bang!...Bang!...Bang!" as part of the person's actual speech.

So was I, all the words in one bubble but the bell doesn't ring at all. There are numerous "hands up"s, but in my memory there is no "hands up" with "bang ... bang". I have checked every vague engrams, like Abdullah, a parrot, Thompson brothers and the monkeys, but nothing. Funny :)

--
UPDATE: Posted: 6 Sep 2008 18:13:46

Sorry beeper
It WAS Thompson brothers and the monkeys in Red Rackham Treasure on page 30. I'm sorry, I thought I had checked it out, but not. How can I be such an ass, the quote question was very good, sorry again.
It is my turn now, I'll figure out something.
tuhatkauno

--
More ...

Here we go,
Where can you read this?
"That's what they call putting your head in the lion's mouth!"
cigars of the beeper
#8 · Posted: 8 Sep 2008 17:39
You're right about the quote, tuhatkauno. It is Red Rackham's treasure. As for the idea of not being so specific, I'm fine with it, just as long as Ivan (who started the discussion) is too.

Now, if I remember correctly, your quote is from The Calculus Affair, when Tintin accidentally turns on Professor Topolino's radio.
tuhatkauno
#9 · Posted: 9 Sep 2008 07:08
Hi cigars,

The quote is not Topolino's radio in Affair, there is another "lion's mouth" somewhere, but where?
Balthazar
#10 · Posted: 9 Sep 2008 10:55
Again, from memory, so I could well be wrong here! -

Does Tintin say this to Snowy as they run away from the blacksmith's forge, near the beginning of the Black Island, where they've unexpectedly encountered the Thom(p)sons (from whom they've just escaped) having their handcuffs removed?

Page  Page 1 of 27:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  24  25  26  27  Next »