Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Castafiore Emerald: Thom(p)sons in the army?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

sthlm01
#1 · Posted: 14 Oct 2008 22:35
What kind of military service did the Thomson twins undertake?
cigars of the beeper
#2 · Posted: 16 Oct 2008 01:15
Military service? Well, I don't know about them doing that kind of thing, although they did serve as sailors a few times (which is akin to being in the Navy) and, of course, being a policeman is kind of like being in the military, but I can think of no case where they were actually serving as soldiers. Is this a trivia question?
sthlm01
#3 · Posted: 16 Oct 2008 18:39
Yes it is. So I would like a answer for this question.
cigars of the beeper
#4 · Posted: 16 Oct 2008 20:06
Okay, let me think...
sthlm01
#5 · Posted: 18 Oct 2008 17:25
The right answer is: Military engineer. The answer can be found in the album: The Castafiore Emerald.
cigars of the beeper
#6 · Posted: 19 Oct 2008 17:51
Hmmm... I don't remember that.
sthlm01
#7 · Posted: 19 Oct 2008 18:08
On page 37, frame six, in the Swedish version of The Castafiore Emerald. (Castafiores juveler in Swedish.)
The English version should have the same text.
Severi
#8 · Posted: 20 Oct 2008 23:35
My guess is that this is a case where translators have used their imagination.

I have both English and Finnish versions of The Castafiore Emerald. Neither of them mention a single word about Thom(p)sons military service. The English version refers to stables without horses and the Finnish version refers to US cavalry that usually arrives at the last moment, except on the Thom(p)son case they arrive just after that.

sthlm01: Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you have two different translations of Tintin books in Sweden? Which version you are talking about?

It would be interesting to know what exactly the Swedish version says in this case. Also if someone had the french version then we would know what this was originally; do those detectives really have military engineer background.
sthlm01
#9 · Posted: 21 Oct 2008 21:50
There are three translations of the Tintin albums in Sweden. And I am referring to the third translation.

The text is nearly exact translated from the French. I have asked the translator.
In Swedish the text says:

Haddock: Ni råkar händelsevis inte ha gjort er (attempt your) militärtjänst (military service) som karabinjärer (as Carabinier) hos (at) Offenbach?

Thom(p)sons: Ã…h, god afton kapten (Good evening captain)
Thom(p)sons: Karabinjärer? (Carabinier?) ...Nej, vid ingenjörstrupperna... (no, as military engineer) Hur så? (why do you ask?)
Tournesol
#10 · Posted: 22 Oct 2008 09:16
In the French original version they two Dupondts (= Thompsons) reveal that the did their military service in "la Génie", the military engineers.

In the English translation, this was all lost to a rather feeble joke about the "stable door"...

If one truly wants to know the world of Tintin as Hergé wrote it, one has better to read the albums in French!

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!