Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Hergé - Chronologie d'une oeuvre: Tome/ Volume 5 released!

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#11 · Posted: 1 Sep 2004 20:23
The cover looks fantastic, as ever. For such an important period of Tintin's story I'm sure we won't be disappointed. Looking forward to November already!

Ed
Tintinrulz
#12 · Posted: 2 Sep 2004 01:50
I don't get your point Richard, in price comparison to the Art Deco book and Picasso book as each Chronologie d'une Oeuvre book is around 99 euros which is clearly more than 50 pounds!
jock123
#13 · Posted: 2 Sep 2004 12:14
Harrock n roll said:
I saw some of these books quite cheap in Brussels last week

So €99 is the rough on-line price. What sort of "street price" could one expect to pay in Brussels...?

Thanks for the amazon.fr info, BTW; I'd looked on Fnac, where they are largely unavailable...
Harrock n roll
#14 · Posted: 2 Sep 2004 13:28
I saw 2 volumes in an excellent secondhand shop called "Little Nemo" 3 weeks ago - volumes 1 and 3 for 60 euros each. I was on my way to Germany so I wouldn't have been able to manage them anyway. When I passed through Brussels again 2 weeks later they were gone (along with some colour facsimiles for 9 euros each). I'm sure the Chronologies don't turn up second hand very often - you'd just have to be in the right place at the right time!

I think the one I'm most interested in acquiring is this forthcoming volume 5 and that cover does look nice!
Richard
UK Correspondent
#15 · Posted: 2 Sep 2004 15:34
I don't get your point Richard, in price comparison to the Art Deco book and Picasso book as each Chronologie d'une Oeuvre book is around 99 euros which is clearly more than 50 pounds!

Yes, I suppose it is, but only around £17 more at most, depending on the exchange rate. The Chronologie series will have a smaller print run, though, which means that there are higher preliminary costs involved with setting up the equipment, and therefore higher individual costs.

However, I have to say that the price for the "limited edition", which has the print included, is substantially more expensive. They should probably include more material and the like to make such a purchase worthwhile.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#16 · Posted: 2 Sep 2004 17:42
The word on the grapevine now is that there will be at least seven volumes, though I think we're probably looking at a minimum of eight. It's taken five to cover the first forty-one years of Hergé's life (or really, about twenty-five working years). Even considering that his work rate slowed down in later years, to cover the remaining thirty-four will probably need at least three more books at the current rate and depth of material. My money's on eight or nine altogether.

Ed
jock123
#17 · Posted: 2 Sep 2004 23:13
Well, checking out amazon.fr revealed that they had only one copy of Tome 1, and one of Tome 3 - and both were available for a combined offer...

Now they say that they are getting more in, but who can say? They might never!

Anyway, it was enough of an impetus to make me take a very deep breath, and order them...

...and they are already on their way!

Now I need to find an excuse to take another deep breath for Tomes 2, 4, 5, 6...

Ed added (somewhat frighteningly!):
My money's on eight or nine altogether.

Arrrggghh!!! I won't just be deep breathing, I'll be hyperventillating - and broke!
skut
#18 · Posted: 9 Sep 2004 18:38
I think Moulinsart should release more collector's editions that are more collectible ie: not something that only wealthy collectors can buy!
thmthm
#19 · Posted: 26 Nov 2004 20:13
I tried buying the special edition of #5 from tintin.com and they said its reserved for only those whove bought the previous special editions! Well excuse me... I was floored when I discovered that each one had its own S.E!
the regular versions are lavish enough...having a special edition of these books is like putting a dab of icing on a 99-layer chocolate rasberry wedding cake, sticking a cherry on top and calling it a really special cake..its so obscenely decadant! I want to see what exactly those lithos like- see what all the fuss is about
jock123
#20 · Posted: 28 Nov 2004 14:38
thmthm
I tried buying the special edition of #5 from tintin.com and they said its reserved for only those whove bought the previous special editions!

I suppose it makes sense - they probably spend a bit more making the special packaging and the lithographs; they also probably have an idea of how many they have sold of the previous SEs. However, you could have bought the first one (at least) from The Tintin Shop - so how do they cater for that, if they limit who they sell to as well as the number produced. Sadly I can see that a proportion of the edition has probably gone to speculators, rather than fans...

Personally, as much as my heart says "Oooh!" at the idea of the SE version, my head says that Hergé had no extra input in the design, content or production of the litho, it probably isn't really worth the extra outlay...

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!