Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

How is "Castafiore" pronounced?

NikkiRoux
#1 · Posted: 2 Jan 2009 02:45
I've been wondering about it ever since I read The Castafiore Emerald. Is "Castafiore" pronounced Kahs-tah-fee-or or do you say the E at the end, like Kahs-tah-fee-o-reh? I saw something on television once, when some of the people were learning Italian, and they pronounced Capire with the E at the end, so I was wondering if it's the same for Castafiore.
greatsnakes
#2 · Posted: 2 Jan 2009 04:45
I've always said it as "Kahs-tah-fee-or-eh"! But it's a good question, as I've often wondered what the right way was also!
Amilah
#3 · Posted: 10 Jan 2009 00:01
I've only heard Kahs-tah-fee-ohr in french, including in official audiovisual versions.

I think it's the official pronounciation. Not necessarily the right one objectively, but the one used in the Tintin world.
Danagasta
#4 · Posted: 19 Jan 2009 01:37
It's kah-sta-FYOH-reh. 4 syllables. Fluent Italian speaker here.
gianfrancogoria
#5 · Posted: 19 Jan 2009 11:05
kah-sta-FYOH-reh
Sure. No doubt. I'm italian... :-)
cigars of the beeper
#6 · Posted: 19 Jan 2009 18:37
I always automatically thought "Cas-ta-fire," but I always knew it was wrong, and I say Cas-ta-fioray
Chuckles_Merrily
#7 · Posted: 4 Feb 2009 09:07
Well I don't know about English but in French its Casta-Fi-Or-Eh
Haddocks Beard
#8 · Posted: 28 Jun 2009 20:32
I always used to think it was Casta-fire too. Then when I had an Italian friend by the name of Fiore, I realized that it must be Kah-sta-fyor-eh.
number1fan
#9 · Posted: 29 Jun 2009 14:20
cass-terr-furie
snowybella
#10 · Posted: 26 Jun 2017 04:13
I say "Castafiore" as "Cas-ta-fwoare-ray".

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!