Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Dark and disturbing scene in the Tintin albums?

Page  Page 5 of 13:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  13  Next » 

cuthbert the pro
#41 · Posted: 14 Jan 2009 05:51
You are right, that stuff in Tintin shouldn't be allowed in the books, but it is a new era and Hergé didn't know that kind of stuff was offensive - just take a look in Tintin in the Congo!
He blows up a rhino, shoots and skins a monkey and uses a giraffe's skin as a disguise!
Aileea
#42 · Posted: 14 Jan 2009 21:44
I always found lots of stuff in "Congo" quite disturbing; the thing with the monkey for example. The Rhino scene is edited in my version of the book, but when I found the original one day somewhere on the internet I was almost... disgusted.
cigars of the beeper
#43 · Posted: 15 Jan 2009 14:24
This is all not to mention the depictions of the natives...
Amilah
#44 · Posted: 15 Jan 2009 14:42
Haha, true. That wasn't the kind of "disturbing moment" I had in mind (in fact it's even hideously comfortable to the european reader), but fact is, it's the Tintin album that actually ended up in the "adult" sections of bookshops.
cigars of the beeper
#45 · Posted: 21 Jan 2009 18:01
I just remembered another unpleasant scene:
Corporal Diaz getting blown up by his own bomb just because his watch stopped.
The Sceptre
#46 · Posted: 22 Jan 2009 16:40
I never felt Tintin in the comics or the cartoon programme should be rated R. Good stories with a lot of action but it's disguised well by Herge because hardly is there ever a mortal or even serious injury.
cigars of the beeper
#47 · Posted: 22 Jan 2009 19:02
I don't think that the idea here is that Tintin should be rated R, it's just the things in Tintin which shock us.
Amilah
#48 · Posted: 22 Jan 2009 20:34
Yes, the thread title shouldn't be taken too litterally or seriously.

Still, the disguise aspect is a good point. Many of these "rated R" passages are only striking in afterthought. For instance, the gentleman getting gunned down at Tintin's doorsteps didn't shock me at first reading. It's in hindsight that I went "hey, actually that was pretty hardcore" (and that's partly the subject of this thread, stuff that are actually pretty hardcore in retrospect). There is indeed a way Herge sometimes slips those into his stories without us to immediately notice how actually brutal it is. It's a bit strange.
cigars of the beeper
#49 · Posted: 24 Jan 2009 14:56
Here's another one, which didn't actally shock me until I read The Broken Ear for the second time:
Rodrigo Tortilla being beaten up (seen from the otside of his porthole) and being thrown into the sea. That's really pretty scary.
Amilah
#50 · Posted: 3 Feb 2009 18:15
So is Nestor's shape after a few weeks of Abdullah.

Page  Page 5 of 13:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  13  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!