Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

[Locked] "Unicorn" Movie: Casting discussion

Page  Page 15 of 16:  « Previous  1  ...  13  14  15  16  Next » 

george
#141 · Posted: 6 Jan 2009 22:22
I'm sure most here have read this from other sources, but if not...:

"Pegg and Frost cast in Spielberg's 3-D Tintin film
Hot Fuzz duo to play the Thompson twins opposite Andy Serkis as Captain Haddock on the $135m adventure"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/jan/06/simon-pegg-nick-frost-tinti n
Max Bird
#142 · Posted: 7 Jan 2009 10:39
In contrary to this article, Spielberg's partner in the movie bussines Kathleen Kennedy confirmed in an interview in December that there still are three movies planned.
Harrock n roll
#143 · Posted: 7 Jan 2009 11:14
Max Bird:
In contrary to this article, Spielberg's partner in the movie bussines Kathleen Kennedy confirmed in an interview in December that there still are three movies planned.

I suppose Ms. Kennedy means there are three movies planned, but whether they will actually make them or not remains to be seen.

I think Simon Pegg and Nick Frost might be funny as Thompson and Thomson since they are a kind of 'comedy duo'. I loved Spaced and Shaun Of The Dead, etc. But must say, I've never categorised them as physical slapstick-type comedians. I always imagined T&T to be a little more Jacques Tati-like, very French, so I wonder how Pegg and Frost will come across and how they'll be received by a Franco audience.
However, personally I'm all for it!
trash80
#144 · Posted: 27 Jan 2009 15:40
Jamie Bell will play Tintin

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/jan/27/jamie-bell-daniel-craig-spi elberg-tintin

Replacing Thomas Sangster who has pulled out.

Daniel Craig as Red Rackham?
greatsnakes
#145 · Posted: 5 Mar 2009 02:04
I've been re-listening to the BBC radio plays recently and wondering if they'll do something similiar for the movie in regards to Snowy. Whoever played him for the BBC was brilliant, so funny!

Does anyone know? I haven't seen any casting bits about it. I know they cut his quips out of the animated version, but it just doesn't feel right!
jock123
#146 · Posted: 5 Mar 2009 10:44
greatsnakes:
Whoever played him for the BBC was brilliant, so funny!

It was Andrew Sachs, who in a long career (I spotted him in an episode of Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) from the Sixties the other day) is probably most famous as Manuel in Fawlty Towers, and for a recent incident in the British media, where he was subjected to some ill-advised prank calls from radio presenters.

I'm not sure how best to handle Snowy's ability to "talk"; it work on the page, and did work on the radio - but on the screen, how do you show it? Do you articulate his mouth, as in Stewart Little and make him less "real", or just have him "thinking" his quips, like Look Who's Talking?
Bolt gets round it by having the animals "talk" when "speaking" to each other, with mouth movements, and barking, squeaking etc. with their mouths working as they would in a real animals when seen from the point of view of any humans.

The problem with that for the Tintin film is that it works in Bolt because there you have interaction between multiple animals; with the exception of birds talking, such as parrots, and then not intelligently, Snowy is on his own. He doesn't talk to the Marlinspike cat, for example, so it might be harder to get across that these are his "dog" thoughts, and not that he is a magical talking dog that human characters should be able to understand.
Revercub24
#147 · Posted: 5 Mar 2009 17:36
Moved from this thread.

jock123:
Another thing is that, given Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are to be the Thom(p)sons, the physicality of the motion-capture artists must be a minor concern: they aren't exactly peas in a pod those two.

I wonder if their roles as the "twins" are a nod to their roles in Hot Fuzz. This isn't the first time they've worked together so they do have a natural dynamic as a duo. But all the same, I'm curious.
number1fan
#148 · Posted: 5 Mar 2009 19:42
Leonardo Di capro reminds me of Tintin a little bit but i think he would be a bad choice.I would love to see Stephen Fry in the role of Haddock but that wont happen.If this was being made in the mid 30's a young Basil Ratbone could fit whats needed i think.
greatsnakes
#149 · Posted: 7 Mar 2009 20:02
jock123:
on the screen, how do you show it? Do you articulate his mouth, as in Stewart Little and make him less "real", or just have him "thinking" his quips, like Look Who's Talking?

Thanks a ton jock123! Great points. Yeah, I guess as much I would love to see Snowy's commentary, it might just not be feasible to do without looking strange. What if we saw him barking and such, but hear a bit of his thoughts as a voice over? That could work. I guess we'll see!
greatsnakes
#150 · Posted: 7 Mar 2009 20:16
Revercub24:
I wonder if their roles as the "twins" are a nod to their roles in Hot Fuzz. This isn't the first time they've worked together so they do have a natural dynamic as a duo. But all the same, I'm curious.

I definitely think so! It probably makes it that much easier to cast people who are already incredibly used to working with each other as "twins". Especially when it's the ridiculous Thom(p)sons.

Page  Page 15 of 16:  « Previous  1  ...  13  14  15  16  Next » 

This topic is closed.