Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintinland: The imaginary theme-park

Page  Page 3 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 

jockosjungle
#21 · Posted: 7 Sep 2004 20:32
Is this ever going to happen do you think? Or will it fall under continuing Tintin after Herge's death?

Maybe if the film ever gets made depending on who produces it we might get a Tintin ride at a Disney/MGM/Universal/Paramount Theme Park

Rik
jock123
#22 · Posted: 8 Sep 2004 07:26
I think that the introduction of a theme park wouldn’t fall into the “continuing Tintin” embargo, unless Hergé was himself known to be viscerally opposed to the notion – to me, it is just another sort of exhibtion.

However, more seriously, I think that there are bigger problems with the notion. Funding would most likely have to come from some sort of cartel of businesses, who would want to be able to turn a profit, and at the moment even the Disney parks are having trouble keeping ahead of the game.

Still, if the movie franchise takes off, who can say? Universal have their “Islands of Adventure” place in Florida, and perhaps they might add an Island…
Tintinrulz
#23 · Posted: 8 Sep 2004 08:23
There's always room for a Tintinland in Australia. Not many people (20 million) and heaps of land!
jock123
#24 · Posted: 8 Sep 2004 23:50
Well, it was a place Hergé wanted the gang to go, so it has a good chance of being the home to Tintinland South! We could add a whole new “714” themed area - the “Carreidas Jet Ride”, the “Flying Saucer” roundabout etc. - exclusively to the antipodean branch!
decimusphostle
#25 · Posted: 9 Sep 2004 04:16
I still fear that a park would contradict the vision of preserving Herge's creation and not commercializing it to an extent-but I still would be in favor of it over all and I still think it would be a good idea-it would regenerate and increase Tintin's popularity, it would bring in money, and it would be FUN! But regarding where to put it, Australia would be a good place. Europe might not, Parc Asterix closes down for several months of the year due to the weather...
jock123
#26 · Posted: 9 Sep 2004 07:27
decimusphostle said:
I still fear that a park would contradict the vision of preserving Herge's creation and not commercializing it to an extent

There is absolutely nothing in the way that the Fondation and Moulinsart operates which suggests that the wishes of Hergé were that Tintin not be exploited commercially. In fact it explains why the two organizations exist: the Fondation does the preserving, and the Chateau does the exploiting. To allow the aims of the Fondation to be achieved – and this includes the establishment of the Museum, the conservation of the Archive, educational endeavours, and not insignificantly, to pay the people involved – Moulinsart is commisioned to generate revenues from all admissable sources.

Hergé’s wish (or at least, that is, as expressed by Mme. Hergée Bis) was that nobody continue his work on Tintin - completing “Alph-Art”, writing and drawing new stories. However, this has not prevented the Nelvana series, which arguably had more people involved in drawing Tintin than ever before, saw story-lines altered, and changes made. It has not prevented the Leblon figures, which transferred the characters into a 3-D state, nor the toy cars, ties, knit-wear and all sorts of knick-knacks unknown to Hergé before his death. Basically anything which does not directly contradict the ethos of the author seems to be fair.

I think if a park could be established, on a strongt financial basis, which generated funds for the Fondation, and it was done without undermining Hergé’s world view, then it could be done.
Harrock n roll
#27 · Posted: 9 Sep 2004 15:16
Jock said: I think if a park could be established, on a strongt financial basis, which generated funds for the Fondation, and it was done without undermining Hergé’s world view, then it could be done.

But more than likely, if ever there was a theme park it would mainly generate funds for Moulinsart. I like the idea of the “Musée Imaginaire”. I can't wait to see a really good permanent museum, say in Belgium (which is on the way, allegedly). That would be more within Hergé's world view. Also solves the problem of the weather...
jock123
#28 · Posted: 9 Sep 2004 16:03
I understood from what M. Tordeur said at the Greenwich day that the Fondation was the major beneficiary of the profits from Moulinsart; it effectively is the commercial arm of the Fondation. Either way, the main money from the Park will be the sales of plastic rain-capes…
finlay
#29 · Posted: 12 Sep 2004 13:40
You forgot to mention that there could be a replica of Marlinspike Hall as a kind of centrepiece. Though it could be expensive...

You could have Jolyon Wagg to guide people round, constantly babbling at you about everything.

Or you could have Calculus, who wouldn't hear someone who asked him a question...

Or any old Tintin character. It'd be fun!
jock123
#30 · Posted: 12 Sep 2004 23:20
finlay said:
You forgot to mention that there could be a replica of Marlinspike Hall as a kind of centrepiece. Though it could be expensive...

Oh dear, the smoke from the battle in the lagoon must be blowing across the park, and obscuring the view! It does reduce the visibility, which explains why you missed it, but the guide-book quoted in the original post does point out:

Along the central avenue, leading away from the gates, you can look up at the full-size replica of the Captain’s château - it is the centre of the park, and contains the “Musée Imaginaire”.

Page  Page 3 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!