Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Question time

Page  Page 2 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 

Harrock n roll
#11 · Posted: 31 May 2009 15:14
Tintinrulz:
A baconian observed fact? What language are you speaking Tuhatkauno? I hope it's not the psudeo-intelluctual rubbish some Tintinologists spout.

I don't believe it is 'psudeo-intelluctual rubbish', Tintinrulz. I think what Tuhatkauno meant was that it was a scientific fact and not a riddle, deduced from the information given. It's rather like Francis Bacon's 'Baconian method' (the philosopher/ scientist, not the painter). That was more or less how I worked it out. Tuhatkauno gave a list of all the things which occurred in sequence, from which I was able to deduce that he was talking about the Thom(p)son's hair.

To quote the wise Sir Francis: "Discretion in speech is more than eloquence."
Tintinrulz
#12 · Posted: 1 Jun 2009 02:18
No, I said I hope it's not psuedo-intellectual rubbish, and you've proved it wasn't.
It would be good to say 'in reference to Francis Bacon's Baconian method...' because I'm familiar with both the the philosopher/scientist and the artist but not the Baconian method.
Thanks
tuhatkauno
#13 · Posted: 1 Jun 2009 07:30
Hi Harrock

The mountain must belong to Zmyhlpatian mountains in the heart of which Tintin and Milou stretched their legs. Did I remember this name by heart - no way, I had to check it out. Your climber-hint was very helpful.
Harrock n roll
#14 · Posted: 1 Jun 2009 09:06
tuhatkauno:
The mountain must belong to Zmyhlpatian mountains in the heart of which Tintin and Milou stretched their legs

You're certainly in the right region, tuhatkauno. But this is a particular mountain which is named in the same book.

A clue for anyone else: it's mentioned in a book which is set in Syldavia, but it's not King Ottokar's Sceptre.
tuhatkauno
#15 · Posted: 1 Jun 2009 09:20
Whoops, I thought you meant Zmyhlpatian, sorry I didn't intend to be a bigmouth and brag of my knowledge. :/
Harrock n roll
#16 · Posted: 1 Jun 2009 10:16
tuhatkauno:
Whoops, I thought you meant Zmyhlpatian, sorry I didn't intend to be a bigmouth and brag of my knowledge

No worries. Care to have another shot? I'm waiting for the answer so that I can add some 'interesting facts' in order to brag about my Tintin knowledge! :-)
tuhatkauno
#17 · Posted: 1 Jun 2009 11:38
First I remembered that Calculus says something about uranium and mountains but I couldn't help checking your tip out and now I know that Baxter also speaks about Mount Zstophnole. It is Zstophnole then. (I wonder if I wrote it correctly)
Harrock n roll
#18 · Posted: 1 Jun 2009 15:46
Well remembered. It is Mount Zstophnole in the Zmyhlpathian mountains (and it is spelt that way in the English book, although slightly differently in the French).

Now for the interesting facts: Zstophnole is "stopnolle", which is Bruxellois for 'Darning Needle', a nice name for a mountain I think. And 'Zmyhlpathe' is probably derived from 'mille pattes', French for millipede.
jock123
#19 · Posted: 1 Jun 2009 16:01
Harrock n roll:
Now for the interesting facts

Again you touch your marble!! ;-)
tuhatkauno
#20 · Posted: 1 Jun 2009 16:25
Harrock n roll:
Now for the interesting facts: Zstophnole is "stopnolle", which is Bruxellois for 'Darning Needle', a nice name for a mountain I think. And 'Zmyhlpathe' is probably derived from 'mille pattes', French for millipede.

You are full of the most interesting facts, thank you Harrock. :-)

And now for something completely different: "Who is who?" -section

He is tanned (empirical fact) and if you think hard you will also realize that he is a banano, not a banana but a banano.

Who is this tanned banano?

Page  Page 2 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »