Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

The Best Tintin Book to Start With?

Page  Page 7 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

Morganson
#61 · Posted: 7 May 2009 09:56
There all so good, it's hard to to say, but...

1. The Seven Crystal Balls - funny thing is I can't remember which album was my first, but I think it was this one. My grandpa owned a three-in-one edition with this and Prisoners of the Sun and Red Rackham's Treasure. Some of my earliest and fondest memories of Tintin, are him reading Tintin out load to me. He's probably the one who got me into Tintin come to think of it.

2. The Black Island - the second Tintin album I ever bought (when I was about nine or ten). Along with Land of Black Gold, I've reread this one more than any other.

3. Flight 714 - when I first read this I really liked it...until the aliens arrived, then I was totally put off. I like it now, though.

cigars of the beeper:
Some people think that Tintin looks ridiculous in the kilt. I have no problem with it.

I'm one of them. LOL
saumya
#62 · Posted: 22 May 2009 17:08
No best. all are great!!!Started reading while in 3rd grade.Big fan since than.My younger bro is the latest addition.
Mr Blumenstein
#63 · Posted: 24 May 2009 20:50
IMO "Tintin in Tibet" is the best tintin book. I love how it is so different from the other books and is definiteley the most thought provoking and compassionate of the books by a long way. It is also very funny and contains great adventure which makes it the closest to a perfect tintin book. I love how Herge drew the tibetan mountains too.

Secondly I would have to place "Prisoners of the sun". It is the most well drawn of all the tintin books IMO because of all the different vibrant colors throughout the book such as the snowy mountains, the green jungle or the rocky cliffs surrounding the temple. It is also a great adventure story with a clever twist at the very end.

Thirdly, I would place " the secret of the unicorn". It is the best of the "detective" kind of tintin stories and although not very fast-paced that is made up for by the humour, mystery and captain haddock. Haddock is at his best as a character here and IMO this is the first tintin book in which haddock really becomes the most detailed,real and interesting character in the tintin series.
John Welles
#64 · Posted: 11 Jun 2009 18:13
My favourite Tintin book would be a toss up between "The Blue Lotus" and "The Broken Ear".
Leviticus
#65 · Posted: 12 Jun 2009 03:11
I have too many favourites to be honest. I can give a top 5 in no particular order?

-Tintin in Tibet
-The Black Island
-King Ottokar's Sceptre
-The Blue Lotus
-The Calculus Affair

I like those the best :)
Oliveira da Figueira
#66 · Posted: 11 Sep 2009 00:32
The Calculus Affair is my favourite, by far, because it is near perfect in every aspect. In my opinion, it represents the acme of Hergé's artwork (together with the next two books, Red Sea Sharks and Tintin in Tibet). Add to this a beautifully crafted plot, full of suspense, tension and action - the constant pursue of Prof. Calculus, with all the missings, frustrations, chases and volte-faces really keeps you immersed in the story, which never gets monotonous and is always coherent (coherence is very important). And the fact that the plot is subtly unveiled, little by little, in course of adventure (rather than someone making a huge explanation in the end, as happens with some books) makes the book more intriguing the more you read on. Also, urban settings are my favourite. I love how Hergé depicts every town and city so alive, with so much detail - the roads, the people, the streets, the cars, the buildings.

The only thing I didn't like in The Calculus Affair (as I don't like in many adventures of Tintin) was the 'badly designed' cannon and the dud mines scenes (page 59). There is no apparent reason for the cannon to be defective nor for the mines to be dud, so how in Earth are they so? This is one of the recurrent things I dislike about Tintin - unexplained important events. It happens A LOT in the first books (but that is understandable, Hergé was yet to reach a mature stage) and sometimes in the late albums, and it's probably the most negative aspect of the series.
ilovetintin
#67 · Posted: 11 Sep 2009 03:18
I love the Black Island and the Secret of the Unicorn!!!!

Grey:
Plus Tintin dresses in a kilt, which I find very cute

I think the same thing!!!!!

Combined two consecutive posts.

Moderator Note: Hi, ilovetintin! Thanks for joining in the discussions so enthusiastically; however, if we could ask you to avoid posting more than one message consecutively in a thread? If you feel you want to add more, and no-one else has posted in the meantime, you can edit your post for up to 24 hours after it is made: just add the new information or whatever to your post.

The Happy Tintinologist Team
ilovetintin
#68 · Posted: 11 Sep 2009 21:39
Oh, and I love the Calculus Affair, and Destination Moon!

Moderator Note: Errr… Please see above, in regard to consecutive posts!!

The Relatively Repetitive Tintinologist Team
jacco
#69 · Posted: 12 Sep 2009 07:39
my favorites are:

1-the Calculus Affair
2-Cigars of the pharaoh
3-tin tin in tibet

next books come close:

red sea sharks, king ottokars' sceptre
SzplitzOnSzplug
#70 · Posted: 17 Oct 2009 19:59
In no particular order I think my favorite stories are-

The Calculus Affair (I remember picking this one out in a bookstore as a reward for a good report card!)
King Ottokar's Sceptre
Red Sea Sharks
Flight 714

I always loved the stories involving our favorite bickering countries Syldavia and Borduria. And Skut's my favorite character so that explains the Flight 714 and the Red Sea Sharks stories. It's too bad they are the only stories he appears in, I think he's an awesome character- the kind you want to know more about.

Page  Page 7 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!