Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Lucky Luke and Iznogoud

comixfanboy
#1 · Posted: 22 Jun 2009 14:59
Folks,
As you probably remember EuroBooks in India had published the 11 Quick and Flupke's 1.5 years before the first book appeared in the UK. They have now scooped Cinebook again. From a blog I follow they released a set of 24 (yes 24!) Lucky Lukes in one go. You can find more info here: www.comicology.in

They are also planning to release other complete series in the next few months!!!Wish there was a way to buy them from India! :-(. Any help from our Indian readers would be greatly appreciated. All the website discussed there explicitly state they ship only within India :-(
mct16
#2 · Posted: 22 Jun 2009 15:30
If you look on ebay.co.uk you will find a nice selection of Lucky Luke books on a "Buy It Now" basis, i.e. you do not have to auction for them, just buy them there and then.

Also, if you go to Ebay's want it now service, you can make a request for other titles. An Indian supplier could come across it and get in touch.

Good luck(y).
comixfanboy
#3 · Posted: 22 Jun 2009 16:11
Hi mct16,
I am well aware of all the Lucky Luke books you are talking about in ebay.co.uk. They are all published by Cinebook and are cheaper at Amazon.co.uk. The 24 books (published in India) are all different (they published some of the new Lucky Luke's - as new as 2006). That is why I was looking for an Indian seller. I am not sure of the want it now service, but if anyone else has bought books from India please let us know how you did it :-)
mct16
#4 · Posted: 22 Jun 2009 21:07
A previous poster (see Lucky Luke coming out in English) does complain that he "Haven't been able to buy any here in India (English of course)", so it would appear that someone over there felt that it would be worthwhile to publish them.

Ah, if only such sound judgement were applied to my favourite-TV-series-and-films-not-yet-transferred-to-DVD, such as "Insektors" or "Max Steel" series 2 onwards.

Speaking of Lucky Luke: at their best his adventures were written by Rene Goscinny, co-creator of Asterix, and, for my money, the best writer of humorous comics ever. and in France Luke's stories have more than matched Asterix and Tintin in terms of sales and appeal.

Yet while Asterix and Tintin are the most successful European comics published in the English-speaking world, Luke is almost unheard of. Any ideas on why that should be?
jock123
#5 · Posted: 23 Jun 2009 09:20
mct16:
Asterix and Tintin are the most successful European comics published in the English-speaking world, Luke is almost unheard of. Any ideas on why that should be?

I’m not certain that there is any way to really say, but why not think of it as as the same as asking “Why is Desperate Dan well known in the U.K., and not in France?” It’s perhaps not that Francophone material is rejected, per se, but that there already is a saturated comedy comic market in Britain, and in order for something to succeed it has to be especially appealing, or offer something really new. Does Lucky Luke tick enough boxes to do this? I don’t know.

I enjoyed Lucky Luke books as a child, but really only as a stop-gap between waiting for new Asterix books to turn up in the library.

He’s also not had the same continuity of publication in the U.K. as in France, and any product will wither if not promoted. As I said, I enjoyed Lucky Luke books as a child, but I’m not sure I missed him particularly when he was “gone”…

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!