Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

Hergé: Why do his descendants not carry on with his legacy?

jayesh_gokhale
#1 · Posted: 4 Sep 2004 14:06
What I do not understand is that why none of Hergé's descendants (I do not know about his family tree but surely he must be having some descendants) carry on the great work done by the Magician from Mouslinart.

There would be lots of material to make good political satire on all over the world.

Perhaps Mouslinart should take this thing seriously and search for good writers/illustrators who love Tintin just as we all do.

The show must go on.
jockosjungle
#2 · Posted: 4 Sep 2004 14:10
It was Hergé's wish that Tintin would not be continued after his death, and Moulinsart do their best to uphold this, perhaps too much so.

If it was done by someone else it wouldn't really be Tintin

Rik
GurraJG
#3 · Posted: 4 Sep 2004 18:27
jockosjungle
If it was done by someone else it wouldn't really be Tintin

I totally agree with that. Even Rodier's Alph-Art is not as good as the unfinished Alph-Art in my opinion.

-Gustav
Tintinrulz
#4 · Posted: 5 Sep 2004 00:24
That's true but it was interesting to see another person's interpretation of it though. Also I would have liked the 'made up' pages to be more 'Hergé', but I guess it was Rodier who did it.

There's only one Hergé.
GurraJG
#5 · Posted: 5 Sep 2004 17:32
Tintinrulz
That's true but it was interesting to see another person's interpretation of it though.

Yes it was. It's just that I like the Hergé ones better.

-Gustav
Tintinrulz
#6 · Posted: 6 Sep 2004 00:33
No, I'm not disagreeing with you. I prefer Hergé's version too. Also its good in a way that he never completed it otherwise we would never have seen the 'behind the scenes' of a Tintin album.
Well that's my opinion anyway.
finlay
#7 · Posted: 12 Sep 2004 13:42
We could have.
The original sketches for the rest of the albums still exist, so it's quite possible that they could publish these....
Richard
UK Correspondent
#8 · Posted: 12 Sep 2004 14:02
The entire creative process for Tintin and the Picaros is documented in Hergé et les Bigotudos, and original artwork is featured in the Chronologies series.

However, I see the point that we would not have had the 'behind the scenes' view that we have with Tintin and Alph-Art, as the people at the Fondation who put the book together didn't know which threads to pursue in reaching the finished story.
jock123
#9 · Posted: 12 Sep 2004 23:08
Not all of the original artwork for even the finished pages remains, so I doubt that there are sketches for all of all the albums. Bernard Tordeur gave a rough percentage figure for what is there (a figure I don't quite recall, maybe 90%?), but it wasn't 100%.

However, I am in total agreement, and for those books where it is possible, I'd love to see a sketchbook album done. There is a precedent for this on the continent, with a Blue Jackets book having recently been simultaneously released in a finished and a sketch version, and I saw a Blake & Mortimer album done the same way.

The archives do hold the complete sketch artwork for Tibet (although that complete run included exact facsimiles of some pages now in private hands), as that was used in the To Tibet... exhibition, and it was fascinating to see.
Hergé, it would appear, was a life-long doodler, and the margins of the pages were covered in figures, mandalas, faces, hands and notes – even telephone messages and numbers! – and this sort of thing would be fantastic to study.
That would be a true legacy for the 21st Century.

This topic is closed.