Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

How did you get your Tintin books?

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Leviticus
#11 · Posted: 3 Jul 2009 08:41
I read Tintin when I was around 8 at my school library. I've always been into it but only decided to buy them this year. I bout the 3-1 collection from betterworldbooks.com online for a good price. I intend to buy the individual albums one by one.
Picaro
#12 · Posted: 4 Jul 2009 05:53
I got my first one gifted to me by my cousin when I was 10 or 11 years old... it was Tintin and the Picaros. I was so fond of it that when some photographs were being taken I insisted that the book appear with me, prominently with cover up, on all of the ones I was to be a part of! Still have the pictures, they are in black and white, which adds to the nostalgia...
avidfilmlover
#13 · Posted: 5 Jul 2009 20:11
Amazon.com
blistering_barnacles
#14 · Posted: 15 Jul 2009 04:28
Tintin for me is inextricably linked to local libraries, as my local library used to have a rather battered looking moon rocket containing well thumbed copies of the adventures. As a child I even tried to hand copy Destination Moon. That's how I came to love Tintin, that and the Belvision cartoons shown (though they are awful).

After that I got a copy of Tintin in Tibet as a child, then later on at Library sales I got Destination Moon, and Prisoners of the Sun. I gradually bought them all, until ggetting the remainder as a Christmas present.

Then of course as a stumbling adult I bought Alpha, Congo and just yesterday Tibet in Mongolian (I'm in Mongolia at the mo).

A 23 years long fascination.
Beanoboy
#15 · Posted: 10 Aug 2009 10:04
I grew up in the 1960s watching Tintin on tv, it was one of those must-see serials, shown just before the early evening news and next day was always the talk of the school playground. When I was ten I won second prize (I was robbed !!) in a painting competition organized by Lancashire county libraries and the prize was book tokens. I still remember the day my dad took me to the shop to redeem my token. At first I was getting some 'worthy' encyclopedia type of book, but in the queue for the checkout I spied TINTIN. It changed my life ! The encyclopedia was quickly tossed aside and I went home with Explorers on the Moon and thus began a lifelong love of all things Marlinspike. I'm 51 now, and although I think I've managed to finally overcome the humiliation of only winning second prize - losing to a girl no less !, I'm still fascinated by Tintin, and my books are some of my most treasured posessions
jannie
#16 · Posted: 9 Sep 2009 07:25
You guys were so lucky. I grew up in the early 1970s South Africa, and never heard of Tintin, until a Dutch immigrant schoolfriend of mine pulled out a box of Dutch / Belgian Tintin comics from under his bed (I was about 16 or 17 at the time).

I was hooked right there!

Several years later Tintin started appearing in Afrikaans in South Africa - I think around the mid-1980s. He was named "Kuifie" IIRC - the direct translation of the Dutch "Kuifje". I don't think I ever got around to reading a single Afrikaans issue, as I was busy as a part-time Computer Science student at the time. I moved to Canada in 1998, and I can now buy any issue of Tintin at my local bookstore down the street - life has improved considerably for me, IMHO ;-)

-- Jannie
BC, Canada
John Sewell
#17 · Posted: 18 Oct 2009 09:41
My first Tintin book was Cigars Of The Pharaoh, when I was away from school with chicken pox in the mid-1970s. My Dad brought it home to keep me occupied, along with a Target Books Doctor Who novelisation and that week's copy of the Beano! He must have got it from the only bookshop in town; a tiny place called 'Folio' which occasionally had Tintin in its children's section (well, "shelf" is being more accurate!)

Loved Cigars, with its globetrotting hero and sinister perils, and picked up the other albums over the rest of the 1970s - I remember getting Picaros in Inverness whilst on holiday in the Scottish Highlands, and being intrigued by the cover (which wasn't at that time shown on the thumbnails on the rear of the British editions!)

Most of them came from Brown's bookshop in Hull, and I can distinctly remember they had a revolving carousel full of Tintin books. It may even have been one of those in the shape of the moon rocket - did they have them in the 1970s? The memory may cheat! For ages though, The Castafiore Emerald remained elusive - it never seemed to be in any of the shops, so when a copy finally showed up in Brown's it was snapped up, and read with some bemusement (it's now one of my favourites but I had a different view when I was 11 or 12!)

That was that, or so I thought until I was looking at a French copy of Red Rackham's Treasure in the school library, and saw two books listed on the back which I hadn't been aware of! Of course, now that Blue Lotus, and finally Congo have assumed their places in the "core" English translations (along with the remains of Alph-Art) I can concentrate on the trainspotter stuff like the B&W facsimiles, The Art of Hergé and spending a wodge of my monthly pay on Cinebook's output. Got a lot to answer for, my old Dad!
SzplitzOnSzplug
#18 · Posted: 19 Oct 2009 00:15
All of my first books belonged to my Dad which he had when he was young. (Their retail price printed on them was $1.95!!) They have a lot of wear to them, I remember taking them with me on car trips. Through my young years I would borrow them from the library. During my teen years Tintin was placed in the back of my mind, until I was about 18 or 19 I started buying the hardcover 3-in-1 volumes. When I was 21 I bought the softcover version of Land of the Soviets. Also when I was 21 a friend of mine, who travels to Europe a lot, brought me a few hardcover french volumes. So now I have all the stories except the Congo one. I've looked at it before but I didn't like all the hunting scenarios...

Anyway I realize that when I was a kid the stories were all "fun and comical or whatever" Now that I'm 23 I understand the stories a lot better then when I was a kid. I also collect foreign Militaria therefore expresses my fondness for the Syldavia/Borduria stories as well as the Soviets story. Too bad that was never re-drawn in color though....

So that's my story!
~Megan
number1fan
#19 · Posted: 22 Oct 2009 12:11
Got them from Eltham and the Ferrier Library.
Purchased a bundle of them at a car boot sale in Lewisham.Now all from the greatest bookshop in the world Amazon.
Rianna Lauren
#20 · Posted: 10 Jul 2010 12:31
My mom first bought me one when I was nine (I'm now fifteen). I don't have much time collecting and reading Tintin as I am very busy with school. But now I'm doing another attempt to collect all 24 of them from my favorite bookstore not far from my house. :)

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!