Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Lucky Luke: Teaser Trailer for new live-action movie

jock123
#1 · Posted: 13 Aug 2009 23:17
There's a trailer for a new Lucky Luke movie here, which is due later in the year.

The actor looks far more Luke-y than the Terrence Hill interpretation, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Just a pity that they didn't include the iconic "shooting faster than his shadow" moment as the teaser...!
MrCutts
#2 · Posted: 14 Aug 2009 02:33
Looked at clip and I don't recall Lucky Luke actually killing anyone in the books.

I'm sure there was another recent Lucky Luke movie?

I say recent, maybe in last 5 - 7 years? I remember seeing online a poster for it somewhere.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 14 Aug 2009 08:19
MrCutts:
I'm sure there was another recent Lucky Luke movie?

Yes. Les Daltons came out in 2004, but wasn't by all accounts a success.

I've not seen it, but by dint of some simple Googling, I found pictures of Til Schweiger who played Lucky Luke in the film, and to be honest he looks like someone going to a fancy-dress party.

He may look more like Lucky Luke than Terrence Hill did (who didn't bother trying to look anything like the comic-book character), but that's only because he's actually wearing a Lucky Luke outfit...!
MrCutts
#4 · Posted: 14 Aug 2009 15:13
Thanks Jock that was the film I saw a poster for. I've not seen the Terence Hill versions. I didn't know about them until I saw videos being sold on Ebay. Didn't Morris have any say in all that. I'm sure he was alive when they did the Terence Hill versions, wasn't he?

I've not seen any film version of Lucky Luke. I have only seen one cartoon and that was donkeys years ago when I was a kid. The animation didn't impress me I seem to recall. I think it was called Daisy Town.

To turn it back to Tintin for a minute maybe Spielberg has got it right not to dress up actors as Tintin and Co.

I did like the look of this new Lucky luke film. Really liked his boots. Just like the drawings. I've been a fan of Lucky luke from the late 1970's. My first introduction to him was a jigsaw puzzle someone gave me which had the panel from 'The Stage coach' when the coach rolls down the hill whilst they are trying to haul it over the boulders and the rope snaps. The expressions on the faces were/are excellent. I'm so glad that the old books from the 70's and 80's have been reprinted and also old books that were never translated into English are also being published. It's a shame they are only being printed as softbacks. A few hard back editions to go well with my od 70's hardbacks and would be most welcome. Too expensive to produce I guess.

Also what made me smile was that on the back covers they changed it so he chewing a piece of straw yet inside books he's rolling fags every 2 or 3 pages.
jock123
#5 · Posted: 14 Aug 2009 23:24
Funnily enough, I remember Daisy Town not so much for it's animation (which was somewhat limited, but there was a neat scene with a beer mug being slid along an improbably long bar), as for the fact that the most - if not all - the voices were provided by Canadian impressionist Rich Little, who impersonated famous American actors in the roles: for example, Luck Luke was made to sound like Gary Cooper. I suppose if they dub the new one, he could still do that!

Having enjoyed the first two live-action Astérix movies (haven't seen the Olympics one yet), it will be interesting to see if the same sort of approach can be brought to this new Lucky Luke film. If they ever need to add the Daltons, I think they should look no further than The Chuckle Brothers...! There were originally four "Chuckles" (but under a different name), until two left the act, but if they don't want to come back, I'm sure the digital effects wizards could could double Barry and Paul's numbers... ;-)

Another piece on the new film, with a shot of a poster can be found here, and the official movie site is here.
MrCutts
#6 · Posted: 15 Aug 2009 02:31
I've never thought about Lucky Lukes voice before. Gary Cooper... not sure.

Lol at the Chuckle Brothers! well... lol at you comment about the Chuckle Brothers at least... ;-)

Not only double their numbers but effects would have to change their height too...

Personally I wasn't keen on the first Asterix live action movie, but I thought Asterix and Obelix - Mission: Cleopatra was good - very true to the book.

Edifis could have been a bit older and shorter, though Monica Bellucci, who played Cleo, was well worth buying the DVD for... :o) ...Oh and the whole story was good too!

Like you I've not seen Olympic Games. I wanted the Olympic Games book with the new cover. It has Caesar walking away from the podium that Asterix is standing on. Do you know if this was just sold in France or did we get it too?

I just don't get on with dubbed films. They look and sound odd. I remember seeing the first Asterix film and I'm sure the centurion or main Roman sitting on his horse outside the village said s**t. I thought: "hang on - this is kids' film, showing on a Saturday afternoon!"
Sapristi
#7 · Posted: 20 May 2012 22:56
... and now I have the Daltons going "silly me/silly you" in my head now!
They would be good though...

I remember being disappointed by the first Asterix movie too- part of this may have been my expectations of it at the time, but looking back its also because it suffers from similar problems to the recent Uderzo-only written stories. (I should quickly say how I do admire the man for his draftsmanship, and for carrying on after the death of Goscinny regardless.) I didn't like the fantasy elements, and some of the characterizations felt a bit off. Bengini was great though- hamming it up big style as the villain.
MrCutts:
I remember seeing the first Asterix film and I'm sure the centurion or main Roman sitting on his horse outside the village said s**t. I thought hang on this is kids film showing on a Saturday afternoon!

That bit with the spiders was pushing it a bit too!
I know Terry Jones did the English version of the screenplay- and I can't help wondering whether those were his own jokes rather than a translation of the original.

Mission Cleopatra however was a lovely surprise- The humour, characterization, and the tone were faithful to both the book and the cartoon. Also its interesting that the subtitled version is longer- and funnier- than the English dub on the same DVD.

Of what I saw of Olympic Games (I was watching on a Spanish-language movie channel when I was on holiday- which was how I first saw Mission Cleopatra a year or so previously) it looked like Asterix & Obelix were just cameos in their own movie- most of the time the focus was on Brutus.

There is a version of Asterix in Britain in the works- I hope they do it justice, as i have such fond memories of the original film.
mct16
#8 · Posted: 21 May 2012 13:51
MrCutts:
I don't recall Lucky Luke actually killing anyone in the books

One of Luke's earliest adventures was "Le Sosie de Lucky Luke" ("Lucky Luke's Double") in which he confronted and killed a bandit who looked just like him.

In a more recent book ("Belle Starr", I think), Jo Dalton states that this is the only time Luke actually killed anyone. I wouldn't know, I have not read all of the Lucky Luke stories, yet.

There is another early adventure called "Phil Defer". Again Luke confronts and shoots an outlaw who then lies on the ground showing no sign of life. In the book edition a doctor claims that he is just unconscious but that the injury to his arm means that his career as a gunman is over. I have to say that the illustration of this scene does not bear out the doc's prognosis: the outlaw does not show any hint of being alive, not even as much as a discreet groan.

I've also read that when the story was originally published the outlaw was actually declared dead on the spot but that the doc's words were later changed due to objections from the censor.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!