Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

Pierre Assouline: "Hergé: The Man Who Created Tintin"

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

comixfanboy
#1 · Posted: 4 Apr 2009 06:19
Folks, I saw this new book about Hergé on Amazon, Hergé: The Man Who Created Tintin. It's in hardcover, and by Pierre Assouline, and sells for £16.99.

It's already out in French, and the author I believe is a famous comic critic...
Has anyone heard of this? Any news would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards
comixfanboy
luinivierge2010
#2 · Posted: 12 Apr 2009 19:10
The author, Pierre Assouline, is a journalist, novelist and biographer.

This will be an English translation of the French language biography Hergé, first published by Plon in 1996, and reissued by Gallimard in 1998 - with a few changes - as a livre de poche.

It is unclear at this stage whether any further alterations or corrections will be introduced into the English edition.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 18 Aug 2009 14:23
A positive piece by someone called Mark Savas on the Assouline book, in his blog, The Elegant Variation; scroll down to find it.

It would be nice to think that the publication of this biography will encourage further English-language books about Hergé, as the blogger suggests.
comixfanboy
#4 · Posted: 18 Aug 2009 23:35
Thanks Jock123!

I have pre-ordered this and The Art of Hergé, Volume 2. Can't wait for it to get released! The cover image isn't Amazon yet...

Looking forward to it!
Tintinrulz
#5 · Posted: 19 Aug 2009 06:53
Is this the Tintin et Moi interview book?
jock123
#6 · Posted: 19 Aug 2009 11:47
Tintinrulz:
Is this the Tintin et Moi interview book?
No, that's by Numa Sadoul; this is a general biography of Hergé, and I believe it was written after he had died.
Tintinrulz
#7 · Posted: 19 Aug 2009 13:43
Ooops, okay, thanks. It still looks very interesting.
As for Numa Sadoul's book, do you know if there are any plans for an English version? I would find it invaluable. Thanks
mhoefler
#8 · Posted: 24 Oct 2009 16:12
Got my copy of the Assouline book this week.

Some descriptions of Tintins adventures are a bit strange to say the least:
p. 56 "...Tapioca is overthrown by General Alcazar, who also decides to have him shot. Tintin shares a bottle of aguardiente with the colonel heading the firing squad, who in his inebriation promotes Tintin to colonel..."
p. 59 "...The terrifiying monster is a gorilla the villains trained to kill but who turns out to be Ranko, Tintin's friend, who now finds a comfortble home in a zoo..." - Tintin's friend? Huh?
p. 77f The Crab with the Golden Claws is constantly confused with The Land of Black Gold: "Hergé wanted a new title for the book based on the serial The Land of Black Gold. At first he thougt of calling it The Red Crab..."

I wonder if it results from bad translation? Even worse: the author himself wrote this?
Maybe readers of the original French version can shed some light?
But what does this say about the credibility of the (translated) book as a whole? Even if it is not the author's fault. Everything that is said might be incorrect because of bad translation.

Some explanation my be the words on the 1st page: "The first English-language edition retains the core but not the totality of the original French edition."

Don't get me wrong. The book is an interesting read but what shall I think about its content...?
Any thoughts?
Tintinrulz
#9 · Posted: 25 Oct 2009 06:56
Is that really how the book reads? The English translation is awful! I'm not sure I can stomach something that badly written, even if it is about Hergé and Tintin.
luinivierge2010
#10 · Posted: 25 Oct 2009 11:32
The French edition is generally free of mistakes (there are, however, a few factual details which needed updating - it will be interesting to see if the English edition takes account of these).

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!