Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Favorite Non-Tintin Adventure Stories

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

cigars of the beeper
#1 · Posted: 22 Oct 2009 00:21
Hello everyone, I would say that a Tintin forum would probably be a very good place to talk about this, seeing how adventurous Tintin is. What we can do here is talk about our favorite adventurous short stories, and hopefully we can all find some good new ones we have never read before.

One of the best, most exciting adventure stories I've read is "The Most Dangerous Game," by Richard Connell. It almost seems like an adventure Tintin would have become caught up in, with the island, and the madman, and matching wits with someone who is out to get you. Of course, Tintin never resorts to such drastic measures as the main character of the story, but that's all right.

In the line of mysteries, the Father Brown stories by G.K. Chesterton are especially clever, especially the first one, "The Blue Cross." I also enjoy the short stories of H.G. Wells, which are a mix of science fiction, action, adventure and suspense, and even a few fable-like stories.

The short stories of Robert Louis Stevenson are also exceptionally good, particularly "The Bottle Imp" and "Markheim." I've also enjoyed lots of Edgar Allan Poe's stories, but I think there are few who have not.

So, let's talk adventure stories: what are your favorites?
NikkiRoux
#2 · Posted: 22 Oct 2009 12:45
I'm still not sure about the adventure concept, but do fantasy stories like Artemis Fowl count?
cigars of the beeper
#3 · Posted: 22 Oct 2009 14:45
I suppose. I actually haven't read that. Is that a series?
NikkiRoux
#4 · Posted: 23 Oct 2009 08:00
Yes. There are six books now, I think.
cigars of the beeper
#5 · Posted: 23 Oct 2009 14:48
Well, if we're going to discuss fantasy series, I recently started reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. They're rather good books, kind of reminiscent of LOTR.
NikkiRoux
#6 · Posted: 24 Oct 2009 03:17
What's it about?
number1fan
#7 · Posted: 24 Oct 2009 07:53
Asterix
Sherlock Holmes
Maus
The Railway Detective
cigars of the beeper
#8 · Posted: 25 Oct 2009 01:31
NikkiRoux:
What's it about?

Well, it starts off peacefully, with a young man and some of his friends living in a secluded village. It seems like a wonderful place to live, in such a kindly community, but suddenly evil starts to seek after Rand (he's the young man) and his friends. However, before evil can catch up with them, they are rescued by two very unusual people. As the story progresses, it becomes apparent that Rand is no ordinary human being, and that he and his friends are destined to serve an unusual purpose in life. You read the next books to find out what their purposes and adventures will be.
NikkiRoux
#9 · Posted: 25 Oct 2009 12:50
I've just read 100 Cupboards. It's about a boy who discovers cupboards set in the wall of the room he's staying in, and he could travel to other worlds through the cupboards.
cigars of the beeper
#10 · Posted: 27 Oct 2009 02:08
That sounds somewhat like entering a magical world through a wardrobe!

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!