Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Nick Park on The Culture Show

Harrock n roll
#1 · Posted: 24 Nov 2009 12:52
I don't know if anybody caught The Culture Show last Sunday, 22nd of November?

It was presented from Aardman studios in Bristol to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Wallace and Gromit. Mark Kermode spoke to Nick Park about his creative inspirations; The Beano, Hitchcock and the adventures of Tintin. Park revealed how he paid homage to Tintin with the 'techno trousers'.

It can be seen on BBC iplayer until next Sunday and it's well worth a watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00p2h1l/The_Culture_Show_2009_20 10_Episode_15/
jock123
#2 · Posted: 25 Nov 2009 08:40
Putting aside my aversion to Mark Kermode that was an interesting programme and interview, wasn’t it? In addition to the references to Hergé, the discussion of the influence of comics in general was good; the illustration of how he uses comic-style framing and distorted perspective was particularly good.

The actual interview with the Tintin discussion is around the 18'40" mark, if you want to skip to it, but the whole show is worth a look.
Tintinrulz
#3 · Posted: 25 Nov 2009 23:40
Sounds great but sadly it has one of those 'UK only' viewer restrictions. Why does the Internet insist on such limitations? It's not fair for the rest of the world (the US has this problem too).
Balthazar
#4 · Posted: 26 Nov 2009 00:56
I saw the programme too, and agree that it was very good. Nick Park and his fellow animators at Aardman are always interesting, and Mark Kermode's a good interviewer, especially for a discussion partly on film references in Wallace and Gromit.

Sorry you can't get it outside the UK, Tintinrulz. I don't actually think it's a restriction imposed by "the internet". I suspect it's a case of the BBC restricting programmes on their iPlayer to UK citizens on the basis that we've paid for their programmes through our compulsory TV licence (well, compulsory if you own a tv) which funds the BBC, a non commercial network. I suppose their thinking is that of they made their programmes freely available on the iPlayer worldwide, it would spoil their chances of selling their programmes on to broadcasters in other countries, which I believe is a big revenue stream for them. Fair enough, I suppose, though I can see it's annoying for you.
Harrock n roll
#5 · Posted: 26 Nov 2009 14:26
My apologies to those of you outside the UK that can't watch this on iplayer. It would be good if the BBC looked into including a pay option for overseas viewers.

Anyhow, for the benefit of overseas viewers I've drafted a short summary of what was discussed in the interview. Look away now if you intend watching this before it disappears on Sunday the 29th of November.

Mark Kermode: "Do you look back at your childhood as a ‘lost golden age’?"
Nick Park: "It makes a good reference seeing the world slightly naively through the eyes I had then."

Mark Kermode hands Nick Park his Beano Annual from 1970. Park says he would have been 11 years old. “I used to get one every Christmas and I would sit and read it from cover to cover, many times.” He likes how characters live in small terraced houses like in Preston where he grew up, but great surreal things can happen, fantastical things. He would sit and copy a whole page because he imagined one day he’d be a Beano artist and draw his own cartoon strips. He points out how in ‘The Wrong Trousers’ you can see shots similar to the Beano style, with pavements curving over the horizon.

Kermode: “And moving now to the vast expanse of Europe, from Belgium the adventures of Tintin” - points to the cover of Explorers On the Moon - “that does very much look like a Wallace & Gromity-type rocket”. Park points to the spacesuit and says he'd paid hommage, or ripped off, the suit for the Techno Trousers in ‘The Wrong Trousers’. Park says he loves Tintin because Hergé is very observational, and he obviously has a love of the design of the time; rockets, cars and boats.

Moving on to non-animation/cartoon influences they talk about Ealing comedies. Park liked the thriller aspect of the Ealing comedies, how it was usually a comfortable setting yet sinister, and it was very easy to tell who the criminals were. Park speaks about the clip in ‘The Lady Killers’ where the Alec Guinness turns up at the door of Mrs Wilberforce. He also talks about “The Lavender Hill Mob” being a very British style of comedy "where you’ve got some guy on the tube trying to attract burglars to break into his house".

Kermode: "Is there ever a sense that you were tending towards black and white?"
Park says he loves Film Noir. One of his favourite films is Hitchcock’s version of 'Rebecca', particularly because of the lighting and photography. Park feels that Hitchcock was always doing animation. He remembers once seeing his storyboards which made him want to storyboard his own movies. Park says Mrs Danvers (from 'Rebecca') is one of the best movie characters ever – the way Hitchcock decided not to show her legs so that she drifts around in a long dress. He admits that he, perhaps unconsciously, based Feathers McGraw on Mrs Danvers. They talk about Hitchcock’s ‘Rear Window’ – the scene where Stewart sends Grace Kelly to the flat opposite to find something and the villain comes back to the flat, which Park calls "a very scary moment". She tries to show them that she’s found the ring and that’s where the villain clocks that they’re being watched. Park loves that kind of a moment in films and is always trying to capture that kind of scene in his own work. He admits that he used the scene in ‘A Matter Of Loaf And Death’, where Gromit tries to show Wallace Paella’s photo album and ties to tell Wallace she’s a murderer and that he’s going to be her next victim.

Kermode says it always seemed to him that the visual expressions of Gromit were inspired by silent movie comedians, "because it’s all eyes, there’s no mouth". Park says Gromit was going to have a mouth originally and that they even attempted to record a voice for him, a dog-like growly voice, but when they came to do the first shot it was too difficult to get in there and animate his mouth, so he discovered that he could instead move his eyebrows up and down, and that seemed to speak volumes. He speaks about a scene in ‘A Grand Day Out’ where Wallace says "we’re going to look for cheese" and he didn’t quite know how to get Wallace to react. But then he saw the film ‘Trading Places’ where one of the millionaire characters says something very patronising to Eddie Murphy and he just looks at the camera towards the audience for a couple of seconds. It was that which inspired Gromit’s knowing looks toward the camera.

View some screenshots from the show here!
number1fan
#6 · Posted: 27 Nov 2009 09:49
I cant stand Mark Kemode i comparison in what he is like for example "The latest Indiana Jones movie was rubbish but i saw this black and white French film about lesbians and this is the greatest Movie i have seen" He is a film critic who hates movies lol.Nick Park is a national treasure he should receive a knighthood he revolutionised animation.
Tintinrulz
#7 · Posted: 30 Nov 2009 06:39
Harrock N' Roll, thanks for providing a transcript. It's much appreciated.
Grey
#8 · Posted: 12 Jan 2010 17:52
I watched this, and found very interesting considering it touches upon three influences in my life; Nick Park/Aardman, Hitchcock and of course, Tintin.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!