Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: Negative sides of his character?

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

doubleT
#21 · Posted: 27 Dec 2005 17:55
One draw back of Tintin's lack of a negative side is that you can't do that bit of the little angel and devil on the shoulders telling what and what not to do with Tintin

Am I right or wrong with this point? (this might have happend to Tintin when he didn't go with the captain and the professor in The Picaros)
rue du labrador
#22 · Posted: 2 Feb 2006 17:35
Tintin is a very benine caracter i find , he has no realy consistant falts. occantionaly he does something very unexspected and out of character like in exsplorers on the moon he realy screams at captain haddock when he gets drunk and leaves the rocket. i found that very unlike Tintin and i couldnt see it comeing. usally he is so calm and pateint. although i dont blame tintin for losing his temper coz every one does.
rue du labrador
#23 · Posted: 2 Feb 2006 17:36
I just thought about this, and it is a bit hypocritical of him to shout at Haddock for endangering everyone’s lives, when he has done it to them many times.
tintinophile691
#24 · Posted: 15 Dec 2009 06:47
A negative side of Tintin is that he's not always aware of what's behind or underneath him. This gets him knocked out a few times.

But then again, none of the villains were too careful about surprise attacks either.
skater95
#25 · Posted: 15 Feb 2012 16:11
While Tintin is certainly very close to perfect, I have noticed some of his less-than-perfect traits. For example, when he manipulates the Captain into accompanying him, when he is mean to Snowy, loses his temper in Explorers on the Moon, he can be very stubborn at times, and there is some evidence that he curses too "he told me to go to.. And such a nice boy I was thinking." hahaha
Blistring_Barnacles
#26 · Posted: 16 Feb 2012 00:45
rue du labrador:
it is a bit hypocritical of him to shout at Haddock for endangering everyone’s lives, when he has done it to them many times.

I don't think Tintin endangers their lives through carelessness like Haddock did, though. I personally think it was pretty fair to yell at the Captain for that one; getting drunk on the rocket had been forbidden and was a stupid move.

I do agree with tonicWater. Tintin should be nicer to Snowy!
tintinlover
#27 · Posted: 26 Mar 2014 07:59
If I was Tintin I'd shout at him too.
Just imagine yourself, out there in space with a stubborn friend of yours wanting to get back home! :-)
But that was just once and it rarely happens, only in situations where Tintin is really under pressure.
Furienna
#28 · Posted: 13 Nov 2014 09:32
I would say that Tintin's only flaw is that he's so darn perfect. And in a way, that makes him far less interesting than Captain Haddock and Professor Calculus, for example.
KiaraChang
#29 · Posted: 6 May 2018 07:21
To be accurate, it's not a negative side of Tintin but a negative side of the world.
For the first time I read Picaros I wondered why Tintin did nothing, or even said nothing about the poor people living in San Theodoros. He was really kind to those Gypsy people in Emerald , but why not this time?
Years later I got my own conclusion: Tintin is great, however, he is still just one man, still hasn't got enough strength to save or change the whole world. Just like Sagata Gintoki in the Japanese anime Gintama, he is only able to protect his friends. (Though this is still great enough for us to admire .)
Furienna
#30 · Posted: 31 May 2018 07:41
CuttstheButcher:
1) His cruelty to animals in the Congo (Was that why it was never sold in the UK for ages? Or was it racism?)

Back then in 1930, the cruelty to the animals was not as disgusting to most people as it has become these days. Hergé later came to regret a lot of things about "Tintin in Congo", including how Tintin was allowed to treat all those poor animals.

CuttstheButcher:
2) His anti-communist zeal (in Land of the Soviets). I always think of Tintin as progressive!

Hergé was very young then (only 22 years old) and also under the thumb of a very anti-communist newspaper editor. And he only used one biased book as source for research. And you can really notice that. But even so, there were many awful things going on over in the Soviet Union at the time (let's not forget that this was during Stalin's regime). So I don't think that the anti-communist zeal is that undeserved after all.

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!