The Best Tintin Book to Start With?

Page  Page 8 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

jolyon496
#71 · Posted: 31 Oct 2009 07:50
cigars of the beeper

WOW and i wasn't scared at 8
col gee
#72 · Posted: 10 Nov 2009 20:03
I think my favourite is Tintin in Tibet, just an overall outstanding adventure story. The moon stories are also excellent.
Mad Hatteress
#73 · Posted: 11 Nov 2009 02:05
Castafiore Emerald hands down. I loved how it was mainly all comedy and Haddock with the parrot was PRICELESS!

I loved all the books but one, truth be told, and they just got better when regular characters beside Tintin were introduced.

It probably isn't fair to say so, but that least favorite I mentioned is Alph-Art simply because of the direction Herge was taking the Captain's character. I got a hold of a copy Alph-Art only last year so it was actually upsetting for me to see a character I've adored since I was a little girl changed so drastically.
Cutts the Butcher
#74 · Posted: 23 Nov 2009 03:40
Castafiore Emerald is just brilliant. But it's such an atypical book, I guess I have to go with Secret of the Unicorn for its multi-layered storylines and elegant artwork. Escapism par excellence.

Having said that, I immediately have to hedge, because Tintin in Tibet is also as close to perfect as Hergé gets - which is to say very close indeed - and the Crystal Balls/Prisoners arc is also incredible. The fact is, everything from Shooting Star to Emerald is absolute gold, Hergé's long 'peak period;' it's a bit like choosing between Sgt. Pepper or Revolver.
tintinophile691
#75 · Posted: 15 Dec 2009 17:55
Without a doubt, The Crab with the Golden Claws.

Readers would then get introduced to Captain Haddock and his legendary insults much earlier. Not much is also required to know about the clumsy Thom(p)sons. The only main characters to introduce next would be Prof. Calculus and Bianca Castafiore.

I wouldn't suggest the Unicorn albums, because then some people might get the wrong idea that all the comics are set in Belgium (or England, by some of the more ignorant people).
jock123
#76 · Posted: 15 Dec 2009 18:28
tintinophile691:
ome people might get the wrong idea that all the comics are set in Belgium (or England, by some of the more ignorant people).

It wouldn’t be ignorant to say that the books are set in England, if you are reading them in in English: that’s where the translations set them! If that’s where the reader is happy with them being set, they wouldn’t be wrong, or ignorant - it doesn’t stop you from “re-locating” them back to Belgium, if that’s what you like. Each to their own!
tintinophile691
#77 · Posted: 17 Dec 2009 23:32
Sorry, I just used incorrect wording for the last post. I do that all the time in forums.
Rianna Lauren
#78 · Posted: 10 Jul 2010 12:20
Ooh! For this I recommend Crab with Golden Claws, other than its coverage about how Tintin meets Haddock, the story plot is really great. :D It's what I started off with, so I say you do so too. XD
snowybella
#79 · Posted: 17 Apr 2017 11:33
zaveri_tintin:
Because Soviets is very rare.

It's not rare for me, I bought it only last year and it still seems to be available easily through online bookstores.

The first Tintin book I read was The Broken Ear, and was immediately hooked, then Seven Crystal Balls, Prisoners of the Sun and I am currently waiting for my facsimile of Cigars of the Pharaoh to arrive. I would reccomend exactly what I began with - The Broken Ear!

Moderator Note: We thank you for your enthusiastic support, but would gently like to point out that zaveri_tintin's comment was made ten years ago, and the comment immediately following it was by moderator marsbar making exactly the point you made about it. Digging up old threads can be fun and useful - but be careful, as the information may be there already!
The Tidy Tintinologist Team

Page  Page 8 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!