Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintinland: The imaginary theme-park

Page  Page 4 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 

thomas
#31 · Posted: 13 Sep 2004 15:22
In Belgiulm, a sort of tintinland have existed.
This park now called Six flags Belgium (but Walibi from 1975 to 1999) have a lot of tintin's attractions. A dark ride (like pirates of the caraibes) based upon "the secret of the unicorn", a entrance of the park based upon the "ottokar's sceptre" and 2 anothers attractions based Upon "the shooting star" (littles jeeps on rails) "the cigars of the pharaon" (littles boats) and "Tintin in america" (littles horses on rails).

Alas! All the attractions are disappear and were to remplace by Looney toons (bugs bunnys and Co)
jockosjungle
#32 · Posted: 13 Sep 2004 15:46
I used to work for Six Flags in KY and St Louis, I was thinking about SF Belgium when this thread popped up originally. Surely much easier to adapt an existing park than start our own.

Are these rides actually based on Tintin Thomas? Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom had a little jeep on rails ride but it had little to do with Tintin, was it actually called The Land of Black Gold or anything?

Rik
thomas
#33 · Posted: 13 Sep 2004 16:14
It was based upon "the shooting star" and the decoration was only compound by giants mushroom like in the book. This ride was for the kids only (from 2 to 10 years).

I hope that i'va answers at you question rik because i 'm a beginers in english and i don't understand al the shades.
jock123
#34 · Posted: 13 Sep 2004 22:55
There is a section on building a Walibi exhibit in (I think) the “Making of” book for “Red Rackham/ Secret of the Unicorn”. It looked a little amateurish, to be honest, or at least not particularly Hergian in style. I’d hope that “Tintinland” will be better.

I can’t imagine that adapting an existing park would work particularly well, as it would be difficult to get the layout just right; I wouldn’t want it to start out second hand!
thomas
#35 · Posted: 14 Sep 2004 16:13
It looked a little amateurish but it's was a work by Bob de Moor (great Herge's assistant) and Guy Dessicy (Hergé's friend and responsable of the firt Tintin's comics in color!!!). Respect please.
jock123
#36 · Posted: 14 Sep 2004 16:54
thomas said:
It looked a little amateurish but it's was a work by Bob de Moor (great Herge's assistant) and Guy Dessicy (Hergé's friend and responsable of the firt Tintin's comics in color!!!). Respect please.

I have tremendous respect for Bob de Moor (there will be a space in the guest gallery at “Tintinland” for Barelli!), as I hope comes across from other posts I have made, and I am sure that Guy Dessicy is equally due respect for his work elsewhere.

However, as far as translating Hergé’s vision into 3D, the photos of the Walibi display in the book do not make it look good - perhaps it just wasn’t their forté? The actual ship looks good, but the figures are about as convincing as the finger-puppets for the toy theatre you can buy. Mind you, please let me know if it was a case of poor photography,because I never saw the real thing.
thomas
#37 · Posted: 14 Sep 2004 17:47
"The actual ship looks good, but the figures are about as convincing as the finger-puppets for the toy theatre you can buy"

You must introducted this attraction in her context

The attraction was create in 1980 and closed in 1999.
In 1980, this attraction was THE ATTRACTION of Walibi and the more modern.
With the years, the attraction don't move and technologie evoluate.

In 1999, the puppets was to old and the new responsable of Walibi (six flags groups) don't want to restorate this attraction.
jock123
#38 · Posted: 15 Sep 2004 08:23
The photographs I saw were of the creation of the attraction, and showed the figures when they were brand new, and I don’t think they were a good representation of Hergé’s art. I am not certain what other context I can look at them in.

They took drawings of extreme refinement and vitality, and turned them into awkward, characterless puppets.

They may have been very good compared to other things in the park, or compared to other parks; they may have been fun to see, I don’t know. They just didn’t do anything for me. Sorry.
jockosjungle
#39 · Posted: 15 Sep 2004 15:56
So does Six Flags Belgium have anything remotely Tintin related in the park?

Perhaps Tintinland could also have attractions from other Herge creations, Quick and Flupkes Funhouse. The Stratoship Plane Ride.

Rik
jock123
#40 · Posted: 15 Sep 2004 17:31
jockosjungle gets creative: Perhaps Tintinland could also have attractions from other Herge creations, Quick and Flupkes Funhouse. The Stratoship Plane Ride.

I like the idea! Doing something based around the Underwater Tanks too could be good... Camp Totor for those who wish to pitch a tent just outside the park proper, but who don’t want to stay in one of the hotels...

Page  Page 4 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!