Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

What are Moebius' (French artist) best works?

Tintinrulz
#1 · Posted: 13 Jan 2010 04:04
I've known about Moebius for several years now and understand he's had a huge influence on anime (eg. Akira), eg. manga (Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind), sci-fi and fantasy (eg. Alien).
Does he have other works with the same or a similar drawing style to Arzach and Airtight Garage?(haven't read them but I love what I've seen of them). I'm not interested in his erotica or westerns, so hopefully that narrows it down.
What do fans consider to be his best works (in regards to this criteria - same/similar drawing style, no erotica, no westerns?)?

Thanks
george
#2 · Posted: 13 Jan 2010 12:56
I was going to suggest the Westerns, but I see they're discounted, which is a shame as they're easily his books with the strongest narrative.

Possibly the stuff with Alejandro Jodorowsky such as the aforementioned Incal series (although I would personally avoid the modern recolouring) and The Madwoman of the Sacred Heart. I find a lot of his self-penned work achingly twee, although always beautifully drawn.

George
hagen8
#3 · Posted: 13 Jan 2010 14:37
He illustrated a graphic novel version of the Silver Surfer in the late 80's that was scripted by Stan Lee. I enjoyed the Silver Surfer comics of Lee and Kirby in the 60s-70s and was excited to see Moeibus handle it. I was disappointed in the computer coloring, but still liked it. The shiny T-1000 Terminator kind of took the wind out of the Silver Surfer sails for me. I think Moeibus is best with the Blueberry Westerns and Airtight Garage.
Tintinrulz
#4 · Posted: 14 Jan 2010 00:04
Thanks all.
Sorry, it's just that I've never been interested in westerns. I've heard Moebius wasn't that strong a writer but I'm more into his work for the amazing visuals.

So far it sounds like these will interest me:

Arzach
Airtight Garage
Incal

and possibly:
The Madwoman of the Sacred Heart (although being a Christian it may best to avoid it). Does it poke fun at religion or God himself? The former I can handle, but not the latter.
Thanks again!
george
#5 · Posted: 14 Jan 2010 22:45
Tintinrulz:
The Madwoman of the Sacred Heart (although being a Christian it may best to avoid it). Does it poke fun at religion or God himself? The former I can handle, but not the latter.

It's been years since I read it so I can't be sure, and I'm not sure I'd know what would count as poking fun at god either. However, reading the back I see the publisher describe it as a "thought-provoking, often sacrilegious, tale of faith and lust" so I'd guess it isn't for you.

On the plus side though: no cowboys!

George
Tintinrulz
#6 · Posted: 15 Jan 2010 01:17
Heh! No worries. Thanks. I think I'll give that one a miss then.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!