Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Wooden Tintin Statue: Can anyone identify it?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

nkafka
#1 · Posted: 3 Apr 2006 17:58
Hi,
I've got a wooden Tintin statue, roughly 50cm tall, that I'm planning on selling, but I'd like to know if it's in any way special.
The appearance is quite old, and it's a bit odd because his hair colour is orange / red.
Link removed
Thanks for any help you can offer!
cheers
Nik

Moderator Note: Sorry, but we cannot allow links which might be used to obtain unofficial merchandise, which this would appear to be.
The Tintinologist Team
nkafka
#2 · Posted: 4 Apr 2006 16:14
Hi,
I'm not trying to sell this here. I just want to find out more about it. If it's 'not official merchandise', what is it? Which year did merchandise start being official? Could this be older than that?

best regards
Nik

Moderator Note: Merchandise has always been “official”- that is, made with the permission of Hergé or his business partners. Likewise, there has probably always been “unofficial” merchandise too - where someone decides to make and sell items without getting the permission to do so. These cheaply made, mass-produced carvings are an example of the latter: someone probably pays people in the third world very little money to produce them, then sells them in the West at a profit as “craft” objects. The fact that they are quite as crude as they are would be the best warning: colouring and likeness have to be to a high standard in “real” items, and these have neither.

The Tintinologist Team
nitten
#3 · Posted: 7 Jul 2009 21:24
Hey all.

Today I visited a secondhand shop and I stumbled upon a Wooden Tintin Figure about 30-50 cm tall. Along side with Tintin were Snowy and a huge mushroom (from 'the Shooting Star'). I would have linked a picture of a wooden Tintin figure that resembles the one I saw, but I've checked the forum and I can see you have a policy about linking to photos, so I won't do that.

I recall the original price was between $200-400.
The new price is $150.

I only got a really quick look at it, so I didn't get the chance to see if it had an inscription on where it was made or any additional info.

Does anyone have any idea were it was made? If it's really worth this much? Or just any info on it?
jock123
#4 · Posted: 7 Jul 2009 22:31
There are certainly a lot of wooden figures produced unofficially: if it is fairly crudely produced, without much attention to accuracy of proportion or detail, and if the wood has been only given basic colouring, then it is highly unlikely to be genuine.
Look for anything which gives an idea of authenticity - a year of manufacture and a copyright and maker’s mark - and say what they are here, and there might be some avenue for further research.

Given that there are a lot of these sorts of thing about, and the quality isn’t high, the prices being mentioned seem high.
jnyis
#5 · Posted: 15 Mar 2010 15:06
Link removed

This kind of thing probably 18" in solid wood.

The one with the pot is 6kg in weight. These don't have identification marks but the quality of the detail is good - Snowy's back pack has dials and is in 5 different colours!

Moderator Note: Hi jnyis, thank you for taking the time to post; however we are unable to display the link to your photograph as under our terms and conditions we cannot accept images of bootleg or pirate merchandise, which these are.
We are confident that wooden figures such as these have not been authorised, so to keep the forums up and running and avoid any trouble with copyright matters we have had to edit your post. Please help us to avoid closure (we have been shut down in the past) by keeping to the posting guidelines - many thanks!

The Tintinologist Team
stamford
#6 · Posted: 17 Sep 2010 10:22
Hi
I wonder if anyone can help, I recently became the owner of a wonderful carved and painted wooden statue of Tintin and Snowy, it stands some 129 cm tall and is I believe very old but in fantastic condition.I am new to forums so am not sure how to show a picture I want to sell the item but am ubsure of it's value, any help would be great.
Harrock n roll
#7 · Posted: 17 Sep 2010 11:07
Is there any indication as to whether it's official or not? There have been many unofficial carved figures produced around the world that regularly turn up on auction sites like ebay, and these are not particularly rare. However, if it is something made in Europe between the 1930s-60s then it could be quite valuable. Please note that we're unable to allow links to unofficial material. All I can suggest is that you try to research the item by looking through auction or collector's sites and see if you can identify your particular piece.
stamford
#8 · Posted: 17 Sep 2010 20:29
Harrock n roll
Hi thanks for the message I have taken some photo's ,how can I send these to you are there any marking on some thing that is official ?
pangapanga
#9 · Posted: 6 Nov 2011 14:16
Has anyone got one of these?

Links removed.

Moderator Note: Hi! As you will see from other messages in this thread to which we have moved your question, the forum rules don’t allow links to unofficial merchandise such as these figures, and we have removed the links. This is so that we stay firmly on the correct side of copyright law, and thus keep the forums open for everyone.

Many thanks for your cooperation!

The Happy Tintinologist Team
reldas1971
#10 · Posted: 2 Feb 2013 19:12
I have just found a fantastic Tintin wooden carved statue washed up on a local beach.
He is about 3 ft tall, has a painted blue top, painted 3/4 turn up troussers, painted white socks and painted black lace up shoes. He also has a round carved nose and painted face and features.
He is free standing with his hands in his pocket and a rather small snowy sits by his right foot.
I know nothing about Tintin specifically, but I am curious about where he may have come from and any history associated with him…
Any information would be gratefully recieved.

I am not sure if I can post a photo of him, if it is possible can someone let me know how.

Moderator Note: Hi, and welcome! As you’ll see from this thread your message has been moved to that due to the number of these items which have been made unofficially, we ask that you don’t post a picture here, at least until the team has had an opportunity to see it first! Thanks!

The Tintinologist Team

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!