Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

"Les Aventures Extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec" (2010) [Movie]

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

jock123
#1 · Posted: 22 Mar 2010 09:55
The new Luc Besson movie is an all-action, effects-laden adaptation of Tardi's The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec. Although work from the series has been made available in English in the past, it isn't currently in print. The good news for English-speaking fans of Tardi, is that Fantagraphics now has rights to the albums, and will be producing new editions, in a new translation, later this year.
There is a teaser here and a longer trailer for the movie here: look for a cameo by the Arumbaya fetish two or three seconds in, and (perhaps) an hommage to the Thom(p)sons at 1'03".
Another, different, trailer is available on the Fantagraphics site here.

Looks lavish, and a lot of fun! As my brother said when he saw the trailer, it "has a pre-WWI adventuress as the main character, a pterodactyl dive bombing Paris, and a well spoken Mummy in a suit. What's not to love?"
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 22 Mar 2010 12:58
I enjoy some of Luc Besson's movies. I've never heard of this one and it looks strange but like great fun. Kind of like the original Lost World (not the Jurassic Park sequel), with some League of Extraordinary Gentlement and Tintin elements. I hope they give the movie English subtitles when/if it's released internationally.
Thanks for sharing.
mct16
#3 · Posted: 22 Mar 2010 13:21
jock123:
What's not to love?

Well, there could be the outcome for starters. One thing I found with Tardi is that although he creates great stories filled with mystery and twists and turns, he has the funny habit of ending them with all the main protagonists appearing all at once, a series of fights and that's it. After a lot of suspense we get a somewhat anticlimactic outcome. Oh, and a lot of unanswered questions which mean that another, but-not-guaranteed, issue is necessary.

Hopefully Besson will avoid that sort of thing, though I wouldn't hold my breath. In terms of action and special effects he can be great but I'm not always impressed by his plot handling or character development.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 22 Mar 2010 14:01
mct16:
Well, there could be the outcome for starters.

That's the "glass half empty" approach, certainly... ;-)

It's true, the film could be a dud, but I think what's shown in the trailer looks gorgeous, and a lot of fun. As you have said in the past, you aren't a fan of book-to-screen adaptations, and as I have said, I'm prepared to give things a chance on merit.
Look at it this way, anything like this is always going to be disliked by somebody, and some constituency will be upset. It's already known that Besson is combining bits from two or three books for his film, and I'm sure that there will be cries from fans of the books that he has desecrated the sacrosanct in doing so, even before it has been seen.
If he has faithfully adapted the ponderous endings you describe, the film may not work, or prove dull; if he changes it, he has to fend off the wrath of the "he shouldn't have changed it!" faction.

I'll add this to the 2009 Lucky Luke live-action film and the Petit Nicolas movie as screen adaptations I want to see!
Grey
#5 · Posted: 22 Mar 2010 15:36
Now, I'm not aware of d'Adele Blanc-Sec at all, but that trailer was really amazing! Of course I find Luc Besson's directing very intriguing, and is one of those foreign directors I could analyse.
It does seem very Tintin-esque from my point of view, and I look very forward to watching it, albeit subtitles.
jock123
#6 · Posted: 22 Mar 2010 17:30
Grey:
I look very forward to watching it, albeit subtitles.

There's a very nice movie website now, and it is available in English, with subtitles on the clips.
Why do Birds
#7 · Posted: 22 Mar 2010 23:59
This looks like a lot of fun!
number1fan
#8 · Posted: 23 Mar 2010 07:27
The trailer looks good and I spot The Thom(p)sons there :D.
I would love to see this in Cinema.
SynthetiThespis
#9 · Posted: 12 Apr 2010 16:11
Hello all! This is my first post on this forum. Long time Tintin lover here. When I saw this trailer I just HAD to share it with people that actually know about Tintin as well.

Here is a link to an io9 article with an embedded Youtube trailer with English subtitles, as well as some short scenes from the movie below in French.

If you just look at the first 3 seconds in the trailer, you'll catch it!

The movie is being directed by Luc Besson and is also a Belgian comic, just like Tintin. The comic, The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec, has also been compared to Herge's art style- which leads us to wonder...why would Luc Besson do this? If you look at the rest of the trailer, some elements felt a little bit like The Seven Crystal Balls. I think the movie looks great, and I'm really excited to see it!

Has anyone read any of these comics? And also, do you think that maybe Luc Besson should be making a live-action Tintin instead of Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson?

Moderator Note: Welcome to the boards! You will see that there is already a discussion of the movie, and a link to the official site, which contains the clips and trailers, so your post has been moved to this thread. Doing a quick search is always recommended before posting, to see if there is already something under way.
The link to the photo you posted has been removed, as it is taken from a screen-grab, and might infringe copyright - but anyway, it might be nicer to let people to spot the cameo; the direction to it is in the first post of this thread.

The Happy Tintinologist Team
mct16
#10 · Posted: 8 Sep 2010 15:29
jock123:
I'll add this to the 2009 Lucky Luke live-action film and the Petit Nicolas movie as screen adaptations I want to see!

If you are really keen on Petit NIcolas, then they've also made what appears to be a 3D computer animated cartoon series. Here's a page with a couple of trailers and an omnibus edition of the DVDs is due out at Amazon.fr in about a month's time.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!