Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Tintin and the Picaros: In defence of Tintin's trousers

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Jyrki21
#11 · Posted: 14 Sep 2004 04:24
I think Picaros Tintin -- brown jeans and all -- would look very much in-place on a university campus, at least here in Canada. The retro look is very popular among students... his haircut would get some ridicule, though. :)
Tintinrulz
#12 · Posted: 14 Sep 2004 05:36
C'mon! He's got the coolest hairstyle ever!
jock123
#13 · Posted: 14 Sep 2004 07:22
Jyrki21 commented:
his haircut would get some ridicule, though. :)

Well, we can't all have mullets, can we?? ;-)
Variations around Tintin's quiff certainly seem to have some popularity in the UK.

It would be entirely possible to fit him out with those short-legged combat-trousers with the draw-string at the bottom, instead of the plus-fours, and some sort of top, to give a modern Tintin an up-to-date, on-trend look...!
rastapopoulos
#14 · Posted: 15 Sep 2004 16:23
On the subject of Tintin's fashion sense I own a pair of brown bootcut Levi cords, which bear uncanny resemblance to the Picaro pants in question.
I wear them a lot and find them most comfortable and very cool.

On the subject of Tintin's hair, I have always wondered if Hergé's brother's hair (Hergés brother Paul was an inspiration for the character) was similar, as he was a professional soldier, and at that time it was fashionable in the ranks to shave the head and leave a tuft of hair at the front which was allowed by the army, and on civvy street would look acceptable under a hat making the appearance of a full head of hair.

Just a possibility does anyone have any suggestions?
Harrock n roll
#15 · Posted: 15 Sep 2004 16:45
I've read that Hergé's brother's hair had a natural tendency to 'quiff up' from a very early age.

At the recent World of Tintin conference Michael Farr pulled out a photo which he was carrying of Hergé's brother, Paul Remi, dressed in his military uniform. He actually looked very, very much like Sponz.

I think that part of the problem with Tintin's "Picaros pants" is tha,t with those awful loafers, he does look, as jock put it, like a teacher at a school disco.
Maybe motorcyle boots could be the answer...?
Tintinrulz
#16 · Posted: 19 Sep 2004 12:27
Tintin may have looked like that in the early 90's, but not these days.
jockosjungle
#17 · Posted: 19 Sep 2004 20:36
What would he look like now then? I'm not sure what's "in" with Belgians at the moment

Rik
Martine
#18 · Posted: 9 Oct 2004 20:05
'New Kids on the Block' came to mind on that one...
I prefer the good ole plus-fours chap, but just for the sake of iconography.
I don't mind him wearing trousers.
The reason for them being brown, is because the character is already colour-coded that way. IMHO, anyway.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#19 · Posted: 14 Oct 2004 21:33
An interesting idea from Hergé et les Bigotudos - for Tintin and the Picaros, he was originally going to wear jeans with turn-ups!
Martine
#20 · Posted: 14 Oct 2004 23:56
Eep!

...actually, that might've worked, but if the idea was rejected, it was for a reason.

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!