Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

King Ottokar's Sceptre: Do Syldavians Eat Dogs?

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

cigars of the beeper
#1 · Posted: 25 Mar 2010 19:34
When Tintin asks the waiter in the Syldavian restaurant what the "szlaszeck" is, the waiter responds that it is the leg of a young dog in Syldavian sauce. This was intended to make Tintin think that he had just eaten Snowy, which was not true, but is it possible that szlaszeck or some other Syldavian dish was actually dog meat?
mct16
#2 · Posted: 25 Mar 2010 19:46
If they did their restaurants would not stay in business for very long, especially in non-dog eating countries.
number1fan
#3 · Posted: 25 Mar 2010 20:36
How do we know if they do, it's a fictional place. Maybe dog is a delicacy.
I hear people in Korea eat dogs; can anyone from there back me up on this?
cigars of the beeper
#4 · Posted: 25 Mar 2010 21:50
I think that's just a malicious and racist rumor, and I don't put any stock in it.
jock123
#5 · Posted: 25 Mar 2010 23:08
cigars of the beeper:
I think that's just a malicious and racist rumor, and I don't put any stock in it.

No, it is based on fact; although the selling and eating of dog meat has been illegal since the Eighties for reasons of safety and hygiene, even the local press have found that it is still being sold for human consumption in S. Korea, as have the BBC.
As for the rest of the world, dog has been eaten in most countries at one time or another, although it is largely illegal or taboo in most of Europe.
According to Wikipedia (I know it isn't always reliable, but at least it's a start if you want to research more yourself) dog meat could still be bought in Paris in 1910 (they don't mention Belgium).
number1fan
#6 · Posted: 25 Mar 2010 23:31
jock123:
dog meat could still be bought in Paris in 1910

Not surprising.
There was a case a few years ago of a guy on Brixton Market had a take away food stand selling hot dogs, burgers the usual stuff.
However this guy was serving up all kinds of animal from gorilla meat to kangaroo meat - all sorts of food a person should not consume.
He would import all sorts of illegal meat and sell it - basically if it was illegal it was served between two buns.
jock123
#7 · Posted: 25 Mar 2010 23:55
number1fan:
There was a case a few years ago of a guy on Brixton Market

Hmm… Thing is, kangaroo meat isn't illegal to sell; however while there have been cases of suppliers of bushmeat from primates being prosecuted in London (such as from a business in Dalston Market, which may be the case you are remembering), it is so scarce (gorillas for example have a tiny population, and the selling of their meat definitely illegal) that the prices charged for it would take it well out of the market for being sold “between two buns”…

Anyway, this is steering a bit off topic, so getting back to the main course - I mean subject: eating dog.

I think that the waiter is just getting a bit of fun out of winding Tintin up about Snowy - although Syldavians could be eating dog, it is more likely that they weren’t.
mct16
#8 · Posted: 26 Mar 2010 01:22
Reading this thread I'm suddenly beginning to fell rather nauseous to say the least! If you lot are trying to make a case for vegetarianism then you have done a great job!
Eric
#9 · Posted: 26 Mar 2010 21:29
The thing that's important to note here is that our general distaste for the thought of eating dogs is likely cultural. Westerners see dogs as man's best friend, and ascribe humanistic traits where there are none. If you think about it, dogs are among a select group of animals (horses are the only other I can think of) about which we have this stigma.

For example, scientists believe that squids and octopi have the same intelligence as dogs, maybe moreso, but we aren't taking calamari off the menu any time soon.
cigars of the beeper
#10 · Posted: 29 Mar 2010 14:08
The best example I can think of of a society which constantly ate dogs was the pre-Columbian Aztec Empire. The Aztecs farmed dogs, and only for the reason that they ate them. Apparently they did not see their potential as retrievers, or anything like that.

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!